Chapter 12

Chapter 12  

Kay looked over Galeron with a careful eye, her feet tucked beneath her, watching as he went over his detailed notes yet again with her sister. She listened as the words rolled out of his mouth, as he detailed the pounds of lard, the quantity of wood beams, the man hours of effort that would go into making the Serenor Keep come up to his standards.

He was certainly a handsome man, she determined, taking a sip of her ale. His jet black curls hung almost in ringlets around his face, and his dark eyes were sharp, engaged in their task. His red cloak cascaded over his wide shoulders, catching on one side where his sword hung. His hands were steady and sure as they flipped through the pages in his codex.

Galeron would certainly be good with the details, with tracking the harvest and ensuring every last grain of wheat was accounted for. Logically, this should make her content.

“Kay? I am leaving now …” Galeron was standing, smiling down at her, and she blushed. Apparently she had lost track of time, become unaware of the goodbyes which had been going on before her.

“Yes, of course,” she replied with a smile. “Enjoy your morning ride.”

He swept down a bow toward her, then one toward the black curtain, and in a moment he had strolled out the door. To Kay’s surprise, Reese did not come sauntering in at the same time, and her heart tightened. She forced herself to laugh, to shrug off the sensation. He would be here soon. With the contest coming down to only the two men, it was natural that the schedule would be off a little.

Em’s voice floated through the curtain wall. “So, we have a pair of final contenders,” she commented quietly, her usual levity tempered by a note of seriousness. “Things become far more difficult.”

Kay leant back on the couch, tension settling into her shoulders. “The two men both have admirable traits, both seem perfectly suited in some ways.” She glanced up toward the curtain. “I know you, with your logical mind. You would argue in favor of Galeron.”

There was a long pause. “I admit, there is a lot to be said for someone who pays attention to the details, who can ensure that nothing is overlooked,” admitted Em thoughtfully. “We are talking about the safety of almost a hundred people, after all. It is an awesome responsibility.”

Kay looked down at her metal goblet, turning it slowly in her hands. “And yet,” she responded wistfully, “I cannot help but remember that night in the torrential rainstorm. Galeron was logical, analytical, and he would have saved the mother horse while abandoning the foal. He made the calculation and came up with the odds. While Reese -”

Em’s voice was quiet, holding a note of caution. “Reese risked your life,” she reminded her sister.

Kay shook her head, her gaze lost in the memory. “Reese stood by me,” she countered. “Reese was there when I needed him. Reese did not waver, or argue, or quote Bible passages, or count the odds. He simply stood by me.” She looked up at the dark curtain, her eyes looking through its thick layers, making that connection with her sibling beyond. “And, God as my witness, when he caught me in his arms -”

There was a clearing of a throat behind her, and Kay felt as if her face had suddenly caught on fire, as if the candles on the shelf had melted their wax and soaked into her skin. Reese walked in through the door, and she turned her head to her ale, taking in a long drink, reaching to refill it. She did not glance over again until he had settled himself into his seat, had faced himself at the long, black curtain wall.

Em’s voice was steady when it came out from the ebony depths. “So, Reese, now we are down to two. Galeron engaged us with a thorough listing of what Serenor needs in order to be up to his specifications. What shall we talk of with you?”