14

Dylan Blake

"I am so sorry, Nate, "I said sincerely,
"I thought that they were weird but now I know that they are psychotic."

"Yeah," He chuckled, "They might have been scary but that's not enough to scare me off."He raised my chin to make me face him and I looked up to see him smiling widely for me.

"Good."I sighed.

"I have to go tho."He pointed out,
"Maya said that she has a plan for the uprising as she calls it."He was talking about the protest the other day.

"That's still a thing, "I asked awkwardly,
"You sure that you're okay to keep doing that after you know..."

"Some punches and a bullet to the leg ain't keeping me down."He said sarcastically, "I'll be fine."

"Okay," I said in a worried tone, "Just be careful, okay."

"What are you so worried about?"He asked softly.

"It's just this protest doesn't seem safe, especially when you're fighting against the authorities," I explained,
"But I understand that you're doing something right and I can't stop you."

His phone was blowing up with notifications and he took it out,
"It's Maya."He pointed out, "She really needs me there. I'll be more careful and I'll see you tomorrow."He gave me a chaste kiss on my forehead before rushing to his car.

I then went inside my house to see both my parents watching the television together as if they did not go all psychotic on Nate.

"Wanna watch some Dirty Dancing,
sweetheart?"My mother offered, "I know how much you love it."

My whole family absolutely loves Dirty Dancing and we had been watching it since I was a kid even though it had some R-rated scenes. It was one of the things that bonded us together before my mother move to Britain and the twins became too popular.

"Yeah, why not."I sat in the middle of them and watched the movie.

Nate Carter

"What is so important, Maya?"I asked frustratedly when I saw everyone inside the house.

"I got a plan."She started, "And it's not a good one but it'll do."

"What is it?"Brad raised his eyebrows.

"So, the plan is, we get black people and place them in suspicious places then call the cops to see their reactions. Then, we'll do the same with white people. We record the entire thing and post it on social media afterward. Easy win for us" She explained.

"And who are our test subjects?"I asked.

"You and Ryan, "Maya said seriously.

Ryan and I looked at each other weirdly at first and then turned to her, "No way in hell I'm being your lab rat for a stupid experiment."Ryan shook his head.

"Look, "I sighed, "If you ask me yesterday,
I would have said yes but I promise someone that after getting my ass kicked in the protest, I'm not going to do anything stupid like that anymore. So, no."

"Are you serious?"Bella interjected, "How can you be so selfish right now? You're fucking white, Nate, ain't no cop going to come after you."

"How am I being selfish?"I clenched my teeth, "I would do anything else that doesn't make me force to go into a 'suspicious' place, whatever that means just to lure in some cops. What if I run into anything crazy?"

"Find a new plan, Maya."Ryan said seriously, "Nate and I are leaving."

I nodded and followed Ryan from behind as we left.

>>>>>>

The next day at school, I was walking with Ryan and Brad in the hallway before I saw Dylan standing by his locker and I said that I would catch up with the guys before approaching Dylan.

"Hey, "I saw his face brightened up when he saw me.

"I heard Bella talking to Brad about you."He frowned, "Something about you being selfish for not wanting to help Maya."

"Yeah, screw her."I said calmly, "I decided to listen to you and she acts like the she-devil that she is."

"I appreciate that."He said softly, "You shouldn't risk your life just because she asked you to."

I noticed that Dylan got more comfortable talking to me and that was enough to balance out my anger and my happiness because he had that kind of magic around him all of the sudden that I could've explained.

"You have any plans today?"I asked,
"I was planning that you can come over and we can just hang or something."

"Yeah, I have nothing special planned."He pointed out, "Are we going to be alone?"

His face turned red and it was obvious that he got nervous because I just suggested that he should come over and he probably thought that I was planning to make a move on him, which I wasn't.

"My mom is taking Ivy to see my grandmother so...yeah, kinda."I said awkwardly, "But I'm not trying to get you in bed with me if that's what you were thinking."I cringe as those words came out of my mouth, "I didn't mean that I think you're thinking about it...I also didn't mean that either."

What the fuck was going on?

I suddenly lost all of my charm and confidence around Dylan and that was something unfamiliar for me.

"I didn't."He blushed.

Great!

I made him uncomfortable.

"You don't have to come if you don't want to, "I said, making the situation more awkward.

"I want to."He assured, "Why? Don't you want me there?"

"No, I want you to come over."I pointed out.

"Then I will."He nodded.

"Cool," I said casually.

"Great."He mumbled and shut his locker,
"I'll see you then."

I waved him goodbye as he walked away from me awkwardly. I hated how low my game was around him and I cringe so hard.I really wanted to punch the locker but that would not seem cool inside of a high school.

Instead, I took a deep breath and kept on walking.