Chapter twenty- one

If there was one thing my father taught me it was to question everything. I didn't trust Raiden for a second. I didn't believe he was taking me into the city out of the kindness of his heart. There had to be a different reason for him bringing me here and it wasn't to simply get out of the castle. I kept the dagger with me, tucking it into my waistline. I wore all black, like Raiden. I figured there had to be a reason for his get up.

"How do you know about these?" I asked as he ushered me through a secret corridor that led to a secret exit.

His grin was cocky. "It Is my castle, love."

I let out a slow, calm breath. "Don't call me that."

"You're no fun."

"I am fun just not around you." We walked through hidden corridors aimlessly for what felt like a mile until we reached a door.

"I very much doubt that." Raiden opened the door and gestured for me to go first. I slid past him, our chest grazing as I went through the threshold. I felt my heart lurch into my throat and shivers crawl down my spine. Shivers of fear, of course.

I scowled at him once I had passed through. "You did that on purpose."

He hid his smirk behind his hood. "Like I said, you're no fun."

"I am too!" I felt like hitting myself in the face. I was letting him get to me and I sounded childish while doing it.

"Prove it." He extended his hand to the city in front of us. I felt the air leave my lungs. It was ... it was beautiful. I admired the city from my balcony but it didn't compare to seeing it first hand. The streets were made of ... obsidian? No that couldn't be right or possible. Maybe some types of onyx. I wasn't sure but I did know it was some kind of black stone. It was enchanting. It looked like there were sparkes of gold running through the stone. The alley ways were filled with lanterns, the glow reflecting onto the black streets made it look surreal.

The alleys were filled with wood arches with engravings on them, there were swirls of smokes, moons, and fire etched into the wood. People crowded everywhere, they were dressed eloquently, wearing masquerade ball gowns and decorative masks, this must be the parade.

"We are severely underdressed."

With the new found light I could see Raiden's face perfectly. The glow of the lamps illuminated against his golden brown skin making him look like a god, although I would never tell him that. I would never let him know how beautiful I found him.

His dark eyes seemed somehow brighter and I realized it was because he was wearing black eyeliner beneath them, it made him stand out more than he already did. I presumed that's why he wore it, I could tell he loved attention. And that he valued his looks, he was always dressed luxuriously, his curly white hair was always styled, and the way he walked just oozes confidence.

I narrowed my gaze. Underneath his left eye there was a drawn on black star. "What's with the star?"

"It's tradition, everyone wears a star beneath their left eye for the festival." He was right, as I looked out at the crowd of people all of them had stars painted or drawn on their faces.
I felt even more severely out of place.

"Everyone but me."

Raiden pulled out charcoal from his front pocket, it was shaped like a pencil and was as black as his eyes. "I figured you might tell yourself you hate being out of place."

"What's that's supposed to mean? I do hate being out of place."

Amusement sparkled in his eyes. Everything was a game to him. "Whatever helps you sleep, love."