Chapter 5 - You Got Old

The next morning I pull on some jeans and a Led Zeppelin shirt before drowning my drowsiness in coffee. I quickly pull my baseball hat a little further down over my eyes. It's harder to stay in the shadows when there is still so much technology around. Hailing a taxi I end up on the steps of the hospital. The centuries have never seemed to change hospitals the last time I was in one. It was over forty years ago but it's all the same with the clean white walls and that sterile smell that just never goes away.

Strolling up the receptionist politely, I cleared my throat to get her attention. I give her a warm smile "Good morning. My name is Layla Jones, I am looking for Katy King's room."

The receptionist glares at me over her red horned glasses. Her look reminded me much of a sniper looking down the barrel of a gun. I meet her gaze with one of my own. I'm not letting some receptionist intimidate me.

After a minute of the two of us glaring eachother down she breaks away only to shove a paper in my face.

"All visitors must sign in." I smirker at the women quickly scribbling my signature "Mrs. King's room is down the hall and to the left." I huff stalking down the hall. What a bitch.

As I look for Katy's room I am nearly run over by a blond nurse in a grey smock. Papers go flying as she scrabbles to catch everything.

"Oh my god! I am so sorry I didn't see you." The young woman apologizes trying to pick up her fallen papers. I kneel down grabbing the rest of them.

I give her a warm smile handing back the papers as I do I catch sight of her soul mark, a white stethoscope curled around itself. Something tugs in the pit of my chest, my soulmates were alive too and I had run from them.

Quickly shaking myself out of my head I smile again "It's my fault I was just lost in my own head. I am looking for Katy King."

The nurses face lights up at the mention of Katy "Oh you must be Layla Jones. She talks about you all the time. I'm Catherine Smith. I called you about Mrs. King." her smile drops for a second making my heart plummet "I am so sorry Miss Jones, Mrs. King can barely speak anymore she barely knows when people are there. But I'm sure she will be glad you came, her room is right there."

With that she continues her way down the hallway leaving me stunned in the busy hallway. This curse of immortality once again is going to make me say goodbye to a friend.

-------------------------

I slowly push aside the sheet around Katy's bed. She is attached to so many wires I can barely find bare skin, her once brown hair is gone replaced with fuzzy white. I don't even think she knows I'm here. Slowly dragging a chair to her bed I take her wrinkled hand in my own giving it a soft squeeze.

"You got old my friend" I sit there in silence listening to the heart monitor slowly beep until sleep over takes me.