Chapter Twenty-Six

Alec POV

I unlocked the door with my key and quietly closed it behind me after watching Dylan drive away. I set my bag down on the floor gently before heading towards the kitchen. I was surprise to see mum up- maybe early mornings are part of the ‘new’ her-  but I could tell right away she wasn’t in the same mood as she was yesterday. Not by a long shot.

She was in her dressing gown standing in the middle of the kitchen, her back was facing me and she was on the phone. She wasn’t happy with whoever she was on the phone to, and I watched as she run her hand through her tousled morning bed head and clenched her fist in frustration.

“-no you listen to me, we need to talk because I’ve had enough! I’m not an idiot, and if you think for one second you can lie your way out of it again you’re going to get I huge surprise... That’s bullshit and you know it-“

At that moment she turned around and saw me standing there, and the expression on her face shocked me. I’ve seen my mother angry before, I’ve even been on the receiving end of that anger several times, but the look on her face wasn’t anger; it was heartbreak.

“I’ll have to call you back,” she said and quickly hung up. “Hey honey, how was your night at Dylan’s?” she asked, giving me a weak smile.

“It was good,” I replied. She tried to give me another smile but it failed miserably and her eyes filled up with tears. I quickly rushed forward and hugged her.

I couldn’t remember the last time I hugged my mum, and I could feel her body sag against mine in either relief or exhaustion as she wrapped her arms around my waist. I was surprised at how small she was and how thin she felt. I rested my chin on top of her head and rubbed her back.

“Hey,” I said softy, “mum, what’s wrong? Who was on the phone?”

She took a while before answering. She pulled back out of my embrace and wiped her eyes. “It was your father on the phone. He’s had some things going on at work, that’s all. Nothing for you to worry about.”

I could tell she was lying, and she knew I knew, but the look she gave me begged me to drop the subject. I nodded before sitting at the table as she turned to get her cup of coffee.

“So,” she began, sitting down across from me, “ Dylan seems nice. How long have you been friends?”

“Nearly two months.”

“What’s his parents like?”

“He lives with his mum. His dad left when his younger sister was born. You’d like his mum.”

“What does she do?”

“She’s a nurse.”

Mum nodded. “You should invite them round one night, it would be nice to have a change of company.”

I sat back in my chair and gave her I look of mock surprise. “What is wrong with the usual company?”

She gave me a don’t-pretend-you-don’t-know look. “You know what they’re like. Sam and Matt’s parents are okay, but Cam’s mum can be a pain in the arse and you know it.”

I laughed and stood up. She reached out and caught my arm as I turned to leave. “I’m glad you had a good break by the way. I missed you though.”

I gave her a soft smile before turning and heading up to my room, grabbing my bag along the way.

Something was definitely wrong with my mum, and possibly my dad, and for some reason she wouldn’t tell me what. I was shocked when she said she missed me; usually she acts like I’m not even here. Whatever is going on, it can’t be good, and I’m not sure if I want to know about it. Things were going so well right now.