thirteen;;

That last message reminded me that I should be taking care of James, but I couldn't see him. I got up quickly, putting my cell phone away, and started looking around the place. No sign of him. After a long time, I decided to return to the track he was supposed to be on.

"Where were you, Trixie?", my mom jumped off the bench as soon as she saw me. "Didn't you promise to take care of your brother?"

"James, where were you?", I shouted at him. "I was distracted for a moment and when I looked back you were gone!"

"I was right behind you...", he said, looking like he was going to cry because I was exalted. "I saw you were here and, as I was tired of skiing, I came to talk to you. But I noticed that you were writing something on your phone, so I decided to scare you, I was going to arrive from behind. But suddenly you ran away, I screamed at you, but you didn't hear... So I was here waiting for you to come back."

"Trixie, what's this phone story? Didn't I forbid you to travel with it? Give me that thing now!", I handed her my phone. "Do you think this is okay, Trixie Mattel? I leave you looking after your brother for 15 minutes and, instead of doing that, you keep chatting with your friends? You crossed the line! You'll only have another phone now when you're old enough to have a job and buy with your own money!"

"But..."

"No excuses! Go to your hotel room right now "

Suddenly, I remembered Jake's message and the girls. I wanted to run and be alone with my thoughts. I looked around and saw the cable car. James'd said that there's a restaurant at the end of the line and that you can also go back. The perfect place to be alone.

I sighed and started to think about everything that was happening. Jake always gave signs that he was interested, when we were alone he even said he was going to break up with his girlfriend so he could be with me... Was he clowning me?

I realized that the people on the chairs in front of me were going down in a place that had a certain structure, it looked like the restaurant that James had described and I decided to go down.

It wasn't exactly a restaurant, and things were too expensive for me to buy anything. I decided to go down again, that walk hadn't softened my anger at all.

I went back to the cable car and sat in the first chair that passed. I expected it to make the turn soon to go down, however, that wasn't quite what happened... I started to go up more and more until it stopped. I was seeing almost nothing because the fog was much stronger there, but I could see that there was nothing there, just a platform.

I decided to try to get down to understand what was happening. The same second I put my feet on the ground, the cable car moved, made a curve and started to go down. I started to shout for it to wait for me, but at that moment I saw a skier approaching.

He spoke only Spanish, all I could understand is that that was the end of the line and that I would've to ski to get back.

I tried to explain it with gestures and he motioned for me to be calm. I understood that he couldn't help me but would go down and let the rescue team know.

I started crying. I didn't want to be there alone! I was really scared!

I don't know how much time passed, until I heard someone call my name. I raised my head, but that fog didn't allow me to see.

"Trixie!", I heard that voice again. "Trixie, where are you?"

I got up and started jumping and moving my arms, so that the person could see me. Suddenly an acquaintance appeared a few miles in front of me, in one of the chairlift chairs, carrying a board in its hand.

"Katya!" I shouted. She jumped and came quickly towards me.

"You're completely crazy!", she said holding me. "Your parents are desperate! What were you thinking when you came up here on the track of the experts?"

I was crying so hard to see someone I knew that I couldn't even answer.

"Let's get out of here!", she said, handing me a board. "A skier saw you and went to warn the rescue team, but your family was so terrified that I decided to go ahead! My God, Trix, you're too cold!"

She then took off the glasses and hat she was wearing and handed it to me.

"First, put it on, your face is all red! Then, you'll sit on this board and slide. I'll be very close to you."

I followed her instructions and started to descend very slowly. I saw her skiing past me and stopped for a while to wait for me. As soon as I got close, she said that I was doing very well and that I was supposed to continue like that.

"We're going over there," she pointed to the restaurant where I'd stopped on the way up. "From there, we'll get off by the cable car"

"But the cable car just goes up!", I said indignantly. "That's how I got up there..."

"You must've taken the wrong side...", she explained.

Katya asked the employees to keep the board she'd loaned me, helped me up in a double chair on the cable car and then sat down next to me.

"You can rest easy now," she said when she realized that I was still crying. "In a few minutes we'll be down there".

"My hands are hurting a lot!", I explained. I'd never been in so much pain.

She took my gloves and said: "This glove is too big for your hand! It can't keep your warmth!"

She pulled the two gloves out of my hand and then removed hers and put them in place, while my conscience weighed more and more. She was going to end up getting sick because she was giving me all cold clothes!

"Katya... thanks. And I'm sorry for that," I said, embarrassed.

"Don't worry," was all she answered.

We were silent the rest of the way, and only when we saw the hotels she said: "I've two requests to make you".

I just nodded and she explained: "First I want you to promise that you'll take at least one ski lesson, just to get the basics."

"And what's the second request?", I asked without answering if I was going to do the first.

"I want you to tell me why you like to live so
dangerously..."

For the first time in many hours, I gave a small smile.

"I'll think about it...", was all I said. "About the two requests."

She jumped off the cable car first, to help me down, and then said, "I'll be right here."

Shortly after we descended, Katya took me to the rescue station, not only to let them know that I was safe, but also because that was where my family was waiting for me.

As soon as they saw me, they hugged me crying and started to touch me, as if they wanted to check if I was okay.

Before I could explain myself, my mom started to apologize, saying that she'd been very hard on me.

"I decided to look at your cell phone, as it kept vibrating with messages from Dela and Kim. I thought they might have known where you'd have gone, but when I read the first one, I saw that they were just comforting you because of something connected with Jake... And I started to get really worried, because this boy has a lot of influence on you".

Completely ashamed that Katya was listening to that conversation, I said, "Mom! I may've been sad, but I'm not crazy... ". And turning to Katya, I added: "Like you and your friend seem to think...".

"Ah, Ginger Minj..."

-
a/n

the trixya interaction's starting yall :))))