Part Two- The Strange World of Discovery

My envision of Claire (Above)

Includes:

CHAPTER FIVE- The Attic/Middle Earth (Seems crazy, right?)

CHAPTER SIX- Beorn's Story

CHAPTER SEVEN- Rivendell and the scroll 

CHAPTER EIGHT- My very first crash-landing

                                                                                            CHAPTER FIVE

                                                                                                   The Attic

In the red haze that followed, I couldn't even feel my tears in the burning sensation coming from my chest. My father was dead. My mother was dead. Sullivan was gone. Gloria was dead. Clove Blaze was dead. Everyone was gone.

Paris supported me on his shoulder after my knees gave way and I buckled. He helped me until we reached the collapsed house. I regained my feet and we both entered the attic.

Claire pulled out my phone and turned on the flashlight. Before I could begin to wonder, she looked at me and said,

"Looked in your stuff you left behind in the house. The phone survived for some reason. Fell out of your pocket when the roof came down."

My mouth clamped shut.

We all looked around for the disc (as now I know that that is the official name for it) and did not find it.

The boxes were stacked everywhere, and they were old. The room reeked of it. Many of them contained photos of the family that used to live her before us Reeds, and movie boxes I had never seen before. Names like The Hunger Games or X-men didn't really stand out to me. Some weird one called The Avengers had a girl looking man with blond hair standing with a hammer, a guy in a blue jumpsuit, another guy in a red metal case, a guy with a bow and arrow, and a green beast like creature. I smirked at the thought. What a team of superheroes. (Later I realized I should have never made fun of the green guy). 

I only knew Star Wars, The Lord of the Rings, and Mission Impossible.

There were at least two hundred movie boxes in the attic.

To tell a long story short, Claire found it first. It had been sitting in an unlabeled black box back behind the very last box in the right corner. (Thanks Gloria, for making my life easier).

It had been next to a white cloth draped on the wall. (That's when I remembered her instructions perfectly. Murphy's Law, right?)

I reached for Bud collar and pulled him close so I could whisper in his ear.

"Sniff around. I know you love it. Tell me if you find a black machine."

I thought I could tell the faintest trace of a nod, but I could feel it was definitely there. Bud went on his way, sniffing away, until he whined sharply. I narrowed my eyes curiously and followed to where he sat on his hind legs. His head nudged to his right, and I followed his gaze.

Sure enough, there was a black box. It said SONY DVD PLAYER on the side, and I saw a small slot at the front. There was an ON button. I pushed it. The small screen flashed a green HELLO, then a LOADING DVD. I realized there was an arrow button next to the ON button and punched it in as well. The screen flashed a OPEN, then the slot opened and a smaller rectangular square with a circular depression in it slid out.