Part Three- Flagships and Deserts

Includes:

Chapter Nine- Minimum Wage

Chapter Ten- The Arrival at the Planet with two suns

Chapter Eleven- Scott Summers

Chapter Twelve- Explosions and Tattoos

                                                                                 Chapter Nine

                                                                                Minimum Wage

The windows were awesome. I would look out, expect to see a gloomy gray Earthly sky, but instead would see both the eternally dizzying blackness of space and the light and beauty of planets and stars. The ship was huge. Made up of five floors with about 1000 yards of length, it was about the size of 10 football fields in length and the height of an illumination pole at Fenway Park in Boston.

Two floors were dormitories, for both rich and poor people, one was the kitchen and dining, one was the engines and boosters, and one was just the "chilling" floor. This was my favorite floor.

There was a gym. With cool-tech workout machines. Today I am still in this gym, telling you the story while running on a treadmill at six mph. But let's catch up to that moment first. There is some important things to tell you.

I worked as a dishwasher. Claire was the waitress. Dexter had lied to me, not her. So I was happily scraping plates with the most normal sponge. In Star Wars. Of all things I could be doing, washing plates with a sponge.

They didn't bother giving me gloves. I just had to bear the burning water that came directly from the toilets. They purified it before sending it up for the tap at the sink, but that meant overheating it to 500 degrees to kill the bacteria, after they tossed the waste into a little baggie and chucked it into space, hoping it would land on some planet.

What a very happy day for the person whose head would be dropped on. You know how at the beach there is always someone with pigeon waste on their head? Well, this is alien waste.

Getting too far off-topic. Well, they needed water fast so they didn't care about cooling it down before giving it to me. I still worked the job. Because I needed to get to Tatooine. So did Claire, but she had it easy. Just pick up plates and put them on tables. Whenever they were empty, pick them up and put them next to me. Don't worry, I'll take care of them, thank you very much. Pretty easy huh?

So that was the deal, while Claire lifted plates like weights and I developed blisters on my hands, Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Padme occasionally stood up from their seats and helped Claire with a plate or two. Me? No, I was back in the kitchen doing hard work. Too far for them to walk.

But I did have an advantage. Claire would sometimes have to balance three plates on her little metal plate carrier all the way up to a dormitory. She was walking, and she was under pressure. I was back in the kitchen washing plates and handing them to a cook. If Claire dropped a plate, or went to the wrong room and never got the food to the correct person in time or at all, she was scrubbing the toilets.

That was the job I would never want to get. But lucky for the toilet scrubber, she had lost her sense of smell and had four arms. She could do her job faster and with less effort, and didn't have to smell the horrors in the dormitories.

As for our dormitories, we slept in the dining room in booths. There was no space above, and it really was our only option.

Of course, the two Jedi and the Senator slept in official dormitories, but that was okay. I respected them, and they were ultimately here for our purposes.