Chapter 62: In the Dark

Robert slowly pulled off of me then sat up straight, grunting a bit as he moved. He was still in pain which was awful for me to watch. He looked around, but it didn't seem like he was scared of me or ready to panic.

"My mother was here a few minutes ago," I told him.

He rubbed his arm and looked at me. "I know," he replied back. "The palace is right there. We need to get away from here."

Wasting no time, I immediately stood up and reached my hand towards him. "Can you walk?"

With a weak chuckle, he shook his head. "Honestly, I can't feel my legs."

I sat back down next to him, rubbing his shoulder for support. "What do I do then?"

For what felt like a minute, he stared at me while frowning. "I'm out of ideas. You're here now. I can't believe it."

Still rubbing his shoulder, I looked at the ground. "I'm not actually dead, Robert. I was hit by a car. Shayla." I took his hand and placed it on my heart. His eyes widened when he felt it. A sudden smile broke out from his face.

"You're alive," he beamed then grabbed my hand to hold it. We exchanged glances for the longest time, me just wishing I could stay like that and know I was safe. We weren't though.

Taking him by the arm, I dragged him up and leaned his arm over my shoulder. He was a little heavy, but I managed to walk him away from the palace. His legs dragged but each step I took, he was getting better. 

"Where are we going?" He asked.

"Emmit's house," I said. "Know him?"

"Sounds...familiar."

"His house is the blue one," I pointed up. "right there."

"I can't fly and neither can you," he told me. "how are we getting up there."

I shrugged.

"Emmit," he whispered. "Emmit can you hear me." A smile formed on his lips. The two of us laughed, smiling and enjoying the comfort until we made it underneath the house. I carefully put Robert down then cuffed my hands over my mouth.

"Emmit!" I called out, not caring if I was too loud. If my mother heard me, I believed I could take care of her. If she wanted Robert, she'd have to go through me.

"Not so loud," Robert warned. 

I nodded his way then looked back at the house, ready to call Emmit's name again. That was until something from the corner of my eye moved. I turned in the opposite direction of Robert to see someone running towards me, but they were too quick to for me to react. I heard a girl's voice telling someone else to get Robert.

Robert. They knew his name.

"You were right, it is him."

On my stomach with my hands bonded by someone's hands, I turned to Robert to see Casper with his finger on Robert's chin, lifting it up and staring at him.

"Casper!" I called out.

"Shush you," Emmit pressed harder on my back. "you don't say a word, or your mother's going to come out here."

"Let her go, Emmit," Robert told him. "she's not our problem here. She never was."

Emmit immediately let me go when he said that. I got up quickly, stumbling back a few steps. I got a good look at Emmit. He glared at me, switching from me then to Robert and Casper. 

"Now's not the time to be angry," Casper frowned. "let's get them inside."

Casper placed his arms under Robert's while Emmit grabbed me by the hand. They flew us into the house, Emmit dropping me while Robert had a smooth guide to the floor where he laid on his back.

"Thank you," Robert said.

"I can't believe you're here," Casper had this big smile on his face while crawling over to Robert. The light was on, making him so bright yet he was totally pale and weak looking. "I thought we'd never see you again."

"Again?" I turned from Robert to Emmit. He looked down at me as I sat on the ground. 

"I wasn't sure he was the same Robert we knew back then," Emmit replied. "I thought I forgot, but Casper reminded me of something I didn't want to remember."

"Emmit-" Robert started.

"Don't even, Robert. You left us when we needed you. You, our best leader." Emmit replied.

"Earth needed our help. Innocent children were dying, killing themselves, feeling useless."

"You couldn't save them all, Robert. We needed this to be done before we focused o Earth."

"I couldn't stay," Robert sighed. "I did what I had to do."

Emmit walked over to me and patted me once on the back. "You didn't do a good job," he said.

There was silence for a while. I didn't know what to say. Everyone just looked at each other, unable to say a word. I got up and went over to Robert, rubbing his hair. "What can we do to make you stronger?" I asked.

"Some rest will do," Emmit bashed in before Robert could talk. "he needs time to wear off the thoughts. May take a few days. I don't know. In the morning, me and the Horrendous Squad start planning. You two need to figure out what you're going to do because you can't stay with us."

"What?" Casper and I said at the same time.

Emmit chuckled. A sarcastic, fake laugh. "He left last time, he'll do it again."

"Emmit-"

"Save it, Parker," Emmit began to rise in the air. "take your friend and save her like you wanted. Me and my team, we'll handle her mother. Just stay out of our way. Let's go," he grabbed Casper and together they flew into their own rooms, leaving Robert and me in the dark.

Upset and annoyed, I sat there very unsure of what I could do. However, with Robert beside me, things seemed more apparent. I laid next to him, me facing him and him me. I closed my eyes, satisfied with his presence. Each second made me more desperate to defeat my mother, but more grateful he was with me.