Chapter 63: Amber's Punishment

I had a dream about Sunny and Amber. It was a weird one. They held hands in a white room while pointing to one another with the other hands. My mother then walked between them, and they both hugged her. After that, they were gone, and my mother turned into that crow looking creature again.

I woke up, looking around, frightened. Robert was beside me, sitting up while hugging his knees. I sat up quickly and placed my hand on him for reassurance. "How are you doing?" I asked him.

He shrugged. "I can't get over the things I saw."

"Want to talk about it?"

"No." He simply replied.

"Okay," I said then stood up. "Can you stand?"

He stood up, perfectly fine without any problems. I couldn't help but hug him, but it was a quick one. I could have done that all day, but there was no time to waste. "By any chance, do you remember Sunny?"

"Yes, I do," he said. "why?"

"Do you think my mother would put her where you were?"

"It's possible," he nodded.

"She betrayed my mother and took Amber. Something took her on Earth, but I don't think she's dead."

"It's possible she's a prisoner," he replied. "you should try getting word out of her. Talk to her. Get to know what's up around here. You have more access to her than anything."

As I started to reply, I felt my heart jolt inside of my chest. Though I didn't feel pain in this world, I felt the discomfort in my chest. Discomfort so intense it sent me to the ground, clenching my heart over my shirt.

"Olivia!" He grabbed me. "What's wrong?"

"My heart...jolted."

He looked at my chest, slowly moving my hands away. "Something's happening on Earth. I hope you're not..."

"Dying?" I whispered. "I can't die here."

He nodded. "Go to your mother. I'll try to talk to Emmitt. We need his help. You talk to your mother. See what you can find. See what she knows. Something that can help us."

I started feeling better, and that weird feeling went away. I got up then walked towards the door. Robert took my hand and lowered me down where kids played tag. They waved and smiled at us, calling me beautiful then tagging Robert and running. I couldn't help think that they needed to get out of here too. Run for their own lives. Without words, I ran towards my mother's palace. As soon as I walked in, the guards tensed up. At the end of the hallway, mother stood with Ava, standing as if they were discussing something.

"Olivia," mother turned around to fully face me. "what brings you here?"

I walked up to them, the guard's eyes giving me quick glances before turning away. "I'm sorry," I told her. "can we talk?"

She simply nodded. "Ava, give us a minute," she said. Taking my hands, we flew into her room where she left me by the door while she walked over to her bed. "What is it? I suppose you're here to-"

"This is all new to me, mom," I rushed the words out. "I don't know what came over me last night. Maybe I'm just afraid. Afraid because I don't know. I don't want to disappoint you. I'm tired of messing up," I told her then sat beside her. "Dad doesn't like me, you're right. But you're all I have now."

A smile she tried to hold in appeared, and she placed her hand on the back of my neck, giving it a light massage. "You can't disappoint me. We were down there together, alone. You don't have to feel alone here."

"Thank you," I said. "I thought about what you said. About Amber. Sunny. All of them. I realized something."

"And what was that?"

"They could have all stopped this," I said. "you know? Warned me. Told me to leave, but everyone kept me around until it was late."

"See!" She stood up and clapped her hands together. "On Earth, you can't trust anyone. No one cares enough about you to do so. Everyone is just out to save themselves. That's what Sunny and Amber did. That's why I wanted you here so you could rid yourself of that."

"They should be punished, mom!" I stood up. "Sunny and Amber. For doing this to me. For screwing me over, don't you think?"

"You truly mean that?" She asked.

"Yes."

She smiled at me, slightly laughing in a low voice. "My dear, they're already being punished. The best revenge is punishments that never end."

I tried to give her my best and vicious smile. "I agree. What did you have in mind?" I asked her.

Mother pointed to the wall, where the smoky clouds appeared, and I saw his face. He sat in the living room, talking to a woman who handed him some tea. Dad rested his hand on his chin, thinking about something. Soon after, both of them turned their heads and inside I saw a little girl. A familiar little girl. Amber. She was skinnier, weaker, bonier. Faded hair color with sad drooping eyes.

"Did you hear something?" I heard dad say.

They couldn't see her. "Amber," I whispered without thinking. "Why is she back on Earth? Shouldn't you punish her...here?"

My mother shook her head. "That best revenge is the punishments that never end," she repeated. "Didn't you listen?"

I thought about it, trying my best to hold the sad truth in. Amber was dead, like Sunny, on Earth doing what Sunny had done to me to whoever would walk into my dad's life next. Why didn't he just leave? Why wouldn't my father pack up and go away forever?

"Your dad deserves this...forever."

"Is Sunny being punished?"

"Severely," she replied. "I must get back to work-would you like to join me?"

"Work?" I asked

"Would you?" She asked.

"Sure," I didn't hesitate to answer. Besides, getting on her good side meant everything now.