chapter three

Pearl had agreed to meet Harvey in The Cabin on the Monday night. The day went rather quick, and as it was the day before school began, Pearl had spent the best part of the day making sure her uniform was ready. Her schoolbooks had been shoved in her wardrobe all summer, so she recovered them and attempted to flatten the curled pages.

Pearl's mum and dad were both off work today, and they all sat down and had a roast dinner together. Pearl helped her dad do the washing up, and Wayne told his family that he was gaining loads of new members at his gym, and he was really pleased. Helen told her family that she had been given a raise at work, and Pearl didn't really have anything to share. After dinner, Pearl's mum and dad wanted to watch a film together, but that wasn't really Pearl's thing. Besides, she had plans.

"I'm going out," Pearl told her parents for the third time in twenty minutes. She was in her bedroom, looking in the mirror and trying to decide what to wear. "Who with?" her mum called from the bathroom. "Nobody," Pearl sighed. "I'm just going out."

"Do you need any money?" Wayne asked. Pearl shook her head and grabbed a blue dress from her hanging rail. "Here," Pearl's dad handed her a twenty pound note. "Have fun." Pearl smiled at her dad and kissed his cheek. "Dad, I love you, but go away, I'm getting changed." Wayne laughed and went into the bathroom with his wife.

Pearl had already done her hair, curled it slightly, and her makeup didn't need topping up, as she hadn't long put it on. She got changed into the blue dress, which was sleeveless with quite a low neckline, and decided to wear it with her brown ankle boots. The dress had a lace overcoat and was cut at the waist.

Pearl put her purse and keys inside her red bag, put the red bag over her shoulder and left the house. Before she shut the front door, her mum reminded her not to be in too late, it was a school night after all. Pearl cringed, rolled her eyes and slammed the door, heading off towards The Cabin.

***

Pearl arrived at The Cabin at 8pm. Archie wasn't working today, neither was Sandy. Instead, Doris was working. Doris was fifty years old, and she had thick grey hair and dark eyes. She always wore a pink top, and she smelled strongly of tobacco and honey. She was a friendly old woman, and she always told customers stories about her heydays, whether they wanted to hear them or not.

"Hello, what can I get you?" Doris asked as she saw Pearl approach the counter.

"Oh, nothing yet, thank you," Pearl replied. "Is anyone in The Den?"

"Ooh, yes!" Doris clapped her hands together, almost knocking a bottle of syrup over. "A very handsome looking man just went through." Doris gave Pearl a little wink, which made Pearl grin. "Go on through, dear." Pearl smiled slightly, and walked through the door with the black drape, into The Den.

Harvey was the only person in The Den. Pearl had a sneaky feeling Harvey had managed to charm Doris into ensuring only the two of them were permitted to be in there. He was sat on one of the chairs, and he had two cups of coffee on the table. He looked amazing, dressed in a dark red shirt with long sleeves, and dark jeans. His hair was fluffy and sticking out everywhere, but he somehow managed to pull it off. He was wearing cologne, and Pearl loved the smell of it.

He stood up when he saw her, and he had to remind himself to blink. She looked absolutely breathtaking. "You look... lovely," he smiled. She looked away gracefully and blushed slightly.

"Thank you," she gushed. "So do you." He sat back down and she sat opposite. Pearl looked at the two coffees on the table, then up to him. "Don't think me presumptuous, please," he said, "but I ordered us drinks. Do you like lattes?"

"It's my favourite coffee," Pearl smiled. She picked up the cup nearest to her and raised it to her lips. "I'll give you a chance now."

"For what?"