9: A Reason to Stay

Vote and comment
Natalie's POV
"I really must be going", Avery spoke as she started lacing her shoes back on and Nolan leaned against the stairway of the beige stairs.

"Don't go we're having fun", I said and I leaned against her and gave her a side hug. After what happened the last few hours, Nolan and I couldn't stop exchanging awkward glances, on my end they were awkward, but on his he saw his stares as a way to make me feel so undermined and controlled. I found him controlling and intimidating a side he used to keep me in check. I didn't want to be alone with him, knowing next time maybe I wouldn't be able to put my hormones to the side and have my brain act. I looked at Avery with pleading eyes.

"I have to, I have work in the morning, speaking of work you have to come you'd be a perfect model, you definitely have the looks", she grinned at her brother, and she looked back at me. She definitely wanted to ignite a flame between Nolan and I and then she'd want to hear all about it tomorrow.

"I'll stop by, but modeling Avery I don't think I could do it", I retorted as she shook her head and I glanced at Nolan waiting for him to become irritated or just cold. Or to make a comment about how I would look like a twig in a swim suit or I didn't have the looks to model. Instead I received his irritated glance towards the door, letting me know he wanted Avery to leave.

"Are you kidding me, we'd love to have you, you're a beauty", she said as my cheeks became a bright red. I didn't glance over at Nolan this time, wanting to enjoy my compliment. I would rather not see him roll his eyes or silently declare it not true.

"Thank you so much Avery", I thanked her as she gave a slight hug to her brother and left waving goodbye, she was up to something but I had no idea what it was.

As she left the front door Nolan disappeared to whatever he was up to. I went back to the kitchen as I peeked into his office, he was working. I lightly laughed as he was such a workaholic, it reminded me of my parents. My mother and I always felt so alone in that big house, now don't get me wrong when there was no company and my dad was working a minimum wage job at a firm, we were happy. But as soon as the business started he was gone most nights and we were alone most of the time. He didn't love us after he drowned in money, he never did but I do imagine there was a time when my mom and dad loved each other, when they were happy.

"Didn't know you were a daydreamer", he said and it snapped me out of my heavy thinking, he leaned against the doorway with a glass of bourbon in his hand.

"Just got lost in my thoughts", I brushed my pants and went back to the kitchen as he followed me.

"I was thinking", he said as I looked behind him and saw him lean against the island, that I had just wiped off. He took another swing at his drink and set it down on the island.

"These past few days I have no idea what happened with you, but I'm done I'm not nice or kind, so there's no need for us to have a relationship, Stay away from me I'm not the man for you understood", words spilled out of his mouth as he cocked his eyebrows, looking for a nod or a sigh out of me. I did this poorly of him, but we were working on it. I definitely now knew that the compatibly test was just a hoax.

"Understood completely, your a hopeless and a worthless guy", I said and left the area knowing I couldn't embarrass myself more than he already did. His words were felt with mixed meanings, as much as I despised him and he made my crazy, but I couldn't deny a tiny sliver of my heart liked him.

Who was he these past few days? Don't ask me. Definitely someone different. I thought we were finally getting through to each other. I wanted him to like me.

It was time he learned that I wasn't just someone who would fall for his ignorant mind games. I arose from his words and I felt the need to do anything to spite him.

I texted Avery knowing she was due for a little fun and she wouldn't be able to pass this excursion down.

(Chats with Avery)
Natalie
     Hey girl, I was wondering if you knew any good clubs nearby. Get dressed cause we're going out.
Avery
     Nolan?
Natalie
    He said I should stay away from him
Avery
    I'm definitely coming as quick as I can. My brother is a jerk.
Natalie
   Very correct.
Avery
    We can go to Fire and Flame, it's this new club that just opened up and I haven't been yet. Dress sexy! I'll be there to pick you up in 20.

I powered off my phone as I went into my closet. I never really had gone out earlier, because I had to work most of the time. I searched and searched through my closet, for this one dress I had got from a thrift store, it was a low-cut black dress with sleeves. It definitely looked like a club dress. I paired it with some black heels and a black purse. My legs under the light had red spots, but no normal person would be able to point them out.

I twirled in my dress as I heard Avery's voice with her brother's. I grabbed my purse and made my way downstairs.

Nolan
The doorbell rang as I wondered who would be coming at this time of night. Just to my expense, my little sister was standing there in the cold in a tiny gold dress, that left her legs and chest exposed.

"Avery, what the fuck are you wearing and why are you here", I opened the door to a laugh as she came in and quickly closed the door. She shivered from the cold that came with her through the door.

"That's not a nice way to greet your sister", she said and I threw a jacket at her. She better not be doing what I think she's doing.

"Anyways what are you doing here", I retorted as I saw her laugh.

"I'm here to pick up Nat", she said as I realized this was my punishment. I stood their refrained as I wished I could take back my cold-hearted words.

"Your going clubbing, really", I looked at her as she gave me the 'your not in charge of me' look.

Her eyes wandered to the top of the staircase as she jumped up and down. I looked up there myself as I saw Natalie, my Natalie in a small black dress, she was angelic, but she looked cold. And I had made her this way. Her dress rode up her leg as she stepped, gracing me with her uncharted beauty. She's beautiful.

"Why are you going?", I asked her as she looked at Avery and then stared at me straight in the eye wanting me to feel her pain.

"You never gave me a reason to stay, did you?", she asked as Avery left and she followed closing the door behind her.

What was this girl doing to me?