31: A Man Never Stares

"Here's your coffee", I juggled his and mine's coffee as we ran into the office late as usual. This was our day back at work, after our break, and we had to make a good impression and not be late, but Nolan insisted on sleeping 5 extra minutes. He pulled the 'well that's the perks of being your own boss' card as he dozed off to the sound of his blaring alarm clock.

He had the driver drop us, today as I was doing his tie on the way to work and we needed a little us time before the chaos. He dropped us off right next to the elevator as we ran as fast as we could. My face was flustered a pink shade and my smile faded as I drank the steaming coffee.

"Tomorrow I'll wake up any time you want me to, Princess", he said as he kissed my forehead, he treated me like a doll, and I loved it. The elevator pinged as it stopped on floor 7 and workers entered. They peered over at Nolan, as they saw their boss and stopped laughing and became very serious. That's why they say you'll never be friends with the boss, who could fire you at any given moment, or maybe it's just me I don't know.

Though a couple of men stared at me dauntingly, wondering who I was. It would be an office scandal tomorrow and then all of Seattle would know and I'd have a target on my back at all times.

They got off as the elevator closed, I let out a slight wheeze as Nolan looked at me worried.

"They looked at you like you could make or break their life", I said as we walked out of the elevator hand in hand.

"And what makes you so sure that I can't", he said as he set his stuff down in his office as I looked for a desk in the center, a desk at all. I followed him as we walked out to the assistants' desk as she spotted Nolan, she waved and ran up to me.

"Hello, ma'am you must be Mrs. Clementé it's a pleasure to meet you, and you Mr. Clementé I'm your new assistant", she said in a southern accent as I admired her blondy locks and southern charm.

"Thank you, could you show Mrs. Clementé around", he said as he took off leaving me with a new assistant who seemed as if she was a bit lost as well. She scrambled at her desk as she struggled a bit.

"So tell me about yourself", I asked her as she found the document she was looking for and peered up.

"Well, my name is Caroline Swenson and I'm from Texas, a long way away from home", she said as I could see where she had gotten her accent from.

"What made you come out here", I asked her as I was truly curious, she traveled across the country to this state, if her family was from Texas it meant she didn't know anyone here.

"Let's just say I followed a man here and we ended things, but I fell in love with this city, I couldn't leave", she stated as I could understand why she wouldn't leave. This city for me meant freedom and anything could happen here and I loved that thought.

"Oh I'm sorry, but I'm glad you stayed", I said as we came across an office right next to Nolan's as we walked in I saw the nameplate, and there was my name.

"Now what about you?", she asked as I looked around the office, it was very simplistic.

"Well I'm Natalie Lawrence Clementé , I guess I've lived in the city most of my life and I guess I followed a man to this office and I'm staying", I summed up my life leaving the grueling and grieving moments out to make me seem cherry fine.

"You can call me Nat, I hate the formality of it all and I can tell you and I are going to be friends", I said as she nodded and smiled as she waved bye.

"Bye Natalie, it was great to meet you", she waved as she closed the door behind her and I waved and responded with "Bye Caroline".

My computer pinged as it was my new business email, already pinging, Nolan had a job for me finally.