Chapter twenty three

I risked my life to get that stupid scroll. Almost died in the process, and what do I get out of it? Locked in my bedroom. As soon as we got back to the Terror pack, Zane walks me to my room and shuts me in. No, I didn't get a thank you. Not even a goodnight.

My thought spin in my head as I sit on my bed, blankly staring at the two vials of swirling purple liquid. One could kill me, the other could give me strength to escape. But what is this is all a joke? Why would Clotho help me? A Fate never watches out for a mortal's interests. They only do things for their own personal gain.

He can see my thoughts, he knows I had the idea to kill Zane with it. So why give me the opportunity? Unless he wants me to kill him.

Reverse psychology. Give me the opportunity to kill myself and in turn I kill another. But why give me two? The option of death or life. Literally putting my own life in the hands of Fate on if I live or die.

My mind falls on a picture of Zane in my head. He was so worried as he waited for me to emerge from the Alpha's mansion. His words, "I wasn't going to let you die." are burned into my head, just waiting to be over analyzed.

Does he care if I live? Why did he release me from my cage?

Putting the potions in my night stand drawer, I finally push myself off of the bed and walk to the door, my fingertips pausing once they touch the door knob. It is most likely locked.

On a chance, I twist the cold metal doorknob. The small white door swings open and I see the dark hallway.

I am free from my bedroom.

I step into the hallway, a chill running down my arms at the change in temperature. The dark clouds mask the night sky, rain threatening to pour out it's rage on the land. I have never seen sunlight here.

Curiosity pulls my body down the hallway as I wander to different doorways. Most of them are locked. I finally reach an archway that leads into a massive kitchen. Pots and pans hang from the tall ceiling over a counter island. It is so dark in here, I almost miss the massive fridge.

A smirk crosses my features as I pull the door open, eyes widening at the food staring at me from within. I sift through the fridge, marking inventory.

My wolf finally makes me choose a bowl of creamy chocolate pudding. I shuffle around for a spoon before I sit at a bar stool and devour the creamy dessert.

Outside, it starts to rain softly. This makes for a great view as I eat. The trees sway with the wind as the rain swirls around, plummeting to the ground.

If Zane were to walk in right now, I am not sure if he would be angry or amused that I am finishing off his pudding.

This really is a treat though. Since I have been here the meals have been bland. Especially since I did not get to enjoy any of the desserts at the party.

I finally finish my snack and set the empty chocolate-covered bowl in the sink. Checking the clock, I see that it is midnight. I should probably head to bed, but I feel pulled to explore some more.

I take quiet steps from the kitchen back into the hallway. I find my way to a small clearing in the hallway and see a massive staircase. The staircase is carpeted in a dark navy blue. The railing is a dark metal that swirls up the staircase like wild vines.

I softly pad up the staircase, my curiosity building with each step. I finally reach the top and see a few more doors. To my right, a door stands still, cracked open slightly.

I need to see what's inside it.

I reach a small hand out, pushing the door gently. It creaks open. Red neon light glows from the inside.