Chapter forty four

The rest of my day dragged on at an unreasonably slow pace. I had them doing some drills and sparring amongst each other. I was pushing them to see what they were capable of. 

It wasn't enough. If this pack gets attacked we don't stand much of a chance. That's why the Magic pack was able to defeat them without raising so much as a finger. 

I wander back to Zane's house, taking my time. I haven't seen him all day. Not since he basically abandoned me in the night. I shake my head, trying my best not to let my feelings get hurt. 

I don't even know what we are. We're mates, yes. We kissed, once. But can I really do all of that? He is an Alpha. I can barely control the responsibilities of being a Beta for one day. Being a Luna? Doubtful. 

Sleep is pointless. The moment my head hit the pillow I just knew I wasn't going to be able to shut my brain off. There was too many things going on. I'm afraid to go to sleep. I don't want to wake up and see Cole. 

He can see my fate. He can see exactly what I am doing right now, can't he? Once he sees that Zane is in fact not dead, then what? He could come for ma again, or worse, he could come to kill Zane himself. 

I finally let out a desperate breath, heaving myself off of the bed. I have been laying here for at least an hour wishing for sleep that never came. I grab my silky red robe off of my dresser, draping it over my shoulders. I wrap my fingers around the cold doorknob, twisting it open. 

I just need somewhere to go, to think. I open the door to the dark hallway. There is no storm tonight. I look outside the large windows at the sky. Dark clouds loom over but produce no rainfall. It is quiet outside, a silence so eerie and disturbing. 

I wander down the halls, trailing my finger along the smooth wall. I finally come up on a small white wooden doorway. Curiosity pricks at my fingertips, begging me to open the door and see what is inside. 

So I do. 

I swing the door open, cringing at the loud creaking the door makes. I turn around, checking to see if anyone is coming. The coast is clear, giving me the go to enter. It is pitch black inside the room, not a single bulb of light glowing. I blindly feel the wall next to the door, searching for a switch. 

My fingers find a small toggle sticking out from the wall, I flip it and the room covers in a dim lighting. I let out a small gasp, taking in the sight before me. 

The room is small, stuffed with a small red leather booth on one corner, and a pool table on the other. Directly to my right is a small bar table with lines of bottles decorating the walls behind it. 

This room is a perfect replica of a bar we had back in the Pioneer pack. It's tiny and looks utterly run down. The smell of old beer hangs in the air, ticking my nose. A small smile etches onto my features as I walk closer, admiring the simple wooden bar. 

I make my way behind it, searching for the perfect bottle to drown my worries away with. The wall behind the bar is made into a nice diamond bottle holder, containing any drink I could ever want to try. I make eye contact with a hundred year old bottle of wine. 

I shake my head, deciding on a large bottle of Tito's. I find some syrups to mix and decide to make a quick cocktail. 

I shake the liquids with some ice, pouring the green drink into a glass I found. I smile at my work and begin washing my dishes and putting them away. I finally grab the drink and take a large gulp, letting the alcohol sizzle down my throat. 

"I see you found my hiding spot" I hear a deep voice rumble from the doorway.

I set the drink down and wipe my mouth with the back of my hand. I throw my eyes towards him, no emotion showing on my features.