Chapter Twenty-Three

*This chapter contains multimedia relevant to the plot*

**There is also sexual content ahead**

Johnny's sister and her friend Jessica left his car as soon as he parked in the very last row of the drive-in. No more than a few minutes later, Carter Parrish was knocking on the car window. Johnny unlocked the car so he could get in.

"Hi," Carter said, with an effortlessly handsome smile.

"Hi."

Carter's smile grew into a knee-weakening beam and Johnny tried not to be too hard on himself at the sickening sweet warmth that coiled around his stomach.

"So," he said with the practiced calm of someone who had a bit too much experience with hiding this sort of feelings. "This is how you wanted to spend your Saturday..."

"I'm sorry, did you have better plans?" Carter joked.

Johnny raised his eyebrows at him daringly. "Do you think the second season of How I Met Your Mother will just watch itself?"

Carter laughed. It was light and bubbly, and made gray-blue eyes sparkle with glee. Johnny had to bite down on his bottom lip to stop a helpless smile.

"Do you even know what we're watching?" Carter asked, looking at the screen a long way ahead.

Johnny rolled his eyes. "Some sappy teen rom-com," he mumbled.

"It doesn't really matter, because you parked way too far out to see anything," Carter said.

Johnny snorted. "You're welcome."

A short silence settled between them and Johnny fiddled with the keychain, hanging from the ignition.

"What kind of movie do you usually watch?"

Johnny turned his head to face Carter again. He hated—loved—the little skip in his chest as his eyes met the genuine interest in Carter's gaze.

He shrugged. "Star Trek."

"That's not a kind of movie," Carter protested with a grin.

"Sure it is." Johnny smiled.

"Never saw it."

Johnny gasped. "Unforgivable."

Carter laughed. "I don't really watch a lot of movies."

Johnny rolled his eyes. "What kind of person doesn't watch movies?"

"I didn't say I don't watch movies. I said I don't watch a lot..."

"I bet you only watch those male-targeted movies," Johnny teased.

"I do not!"

"Have you watched Die Hard?" Johnny challenged, with a sly smile.

Carter shot him a reluctant look. "Of course, I've watched Die Hard."

"The Fast & Furious series?"

"Everybody's watched that!"

Johnny laughed.

"That's not fair," Carter complained. "Those aren't masculine movies. They're blockbusters! I think I've watched most of them with Mel."

Johnny's grin faltered slightly. "They're shit movies."

Carter gave him a pointed look. Johnny raised his eyebrows, bidding him to explain.

"I never took you for a cinematic snob."

"I am not," Johnny declared firmly.

"You sure sound like one," Carter mused. "And one who likes Star Trek, of all things."