Chapter Thirty-Two

*This chapter contains multimedia relevant to the plot*

Carter smiled down at his phone, because he was done pretending he ever tried to stop himself, and got up from the couch

He stepped into the kitchen, where his mother stood with Tony. Luca, Mike and Richie sat around the kitchen table, while Bella and Jack's voices sounded over the bouncing of a basketball outside.

"I'm going out."

Abby raised her eyebrows at her son. "Can I at least know with who?"

"Johnny," Carter said. "And his brother and sister."

"Kevin's going?" Richie chimed in. "Can I tag along?"

"Can I go too?" Luca asked eagerly. He turned to his dad. "Lydia will be there. And if Richie, Carter, Kevin and Johnny are all going, there'll be plenty of supervision."

Tony glanced at his stepson. "If Carter's okay with it," he started evenly, "then I don't see why not."

Carter smiled tightly. "Sure, I'll text Johnny."

*****

*****

They drove out to the marinas in Downtown Miami. Kevin drove Johnny's car—because of course he did—with Lydia in the backseat, texting Luca. Johnny wasn't even sure when they had become friends after Luca sort of dumped Lydia's friend.

The Santoros and Carter drove behind them, with Richie in the driver's seat.

Johnny wasn't usually the kind of guy to go out to the city and enjoy the November sun. But he wanted to spend time with Carter, wherever he could have him. Not that he would admit that out loud. Not yet, at least.

The two of them sat on a metal bench by the waterfront with an ice cream cone in their hands. Kevin, Lydia, Richie and Luca sat together on another bench, separated by a few feet and a palm tree. Since the seats were only large enough to fit four people, Carter and Johnny had selflessly offered to sit alone.

"It's kinda warm for late November," Carter said, watching a boat slug by.

"It's Florida," Johnny mumbled, almost resentfully.