Chapter 58 - The Seize of Navsarika

The city was burning, people were screaming and the wind was whipping around Chitra, it was a crazy scene.

She looked down at her burning homeland from her balcony. Her cheeks streaked with tears.

She had been shut in the highest tower along with her mother and all the women of the Palace for safety. The castle was under seize.

"Chitra come inside! There are arrows."

Kalavati pulled her in just in time before a rain of arrows struck the door.

"Mother" Chitra cried and hugged her mother.

This had never happened before. Castles were never attacked directly. But it was not a normal war. It was a seize. The kind of seizes she had heard from her father and tutors.

Navsarika had been attacked by a group of savage tribes from the west. The warrior tribes who followed no rules killed everyone mercilessly and captured women and children as slaves.

"Oh, Shiv! I don't know if I will ever see you again." She thought sadly.

*******

A few hours previously -

Maansing was worried. He had got some very disturbing information and he has to see Raja Kirtiveer soon.

Raja Kiritveer had retired to his chamber for the night. He was reading his book when the attendant arrived.

"What is it Arjun?" He asked the attendant.

"Prime minister Mansingh wants to see you immediately Your Majesty. He says it's urgent."

"Ok show him in."

He kept away his book and waited.

" Your Majesty! We are being attacked!" Maansing blurted out as soon as he entered his chambers.

"What!" Kiritveer got up from his seat surprised.

"The Turks...They have entered the city gates. They would arrive at the palace soon. We need to hurry!"

"What are you waiting for. Call in all the generals to command the army. Where are the reinforcements from Patan? Vikram was supposed to send them?"

Maansing looked down," they didn't arrive your majesty."

Kiritveer's face hardened.

"Declare an emergency, get all women and children to safety. We are going to war."

The castle was in an uproar. The regiments were getting ready. Palace servants and courtiers, we're being shaken from their slumber and put into their duty.

Chitra ran out of her chambers confused.

"What's happening?" She asked one of the guards.

"Your Highness you can't be here. You must hide!"

"Why? What's going on?"

"We have been attacked, your highness by the warrior tribes of Turks."

Chitra's eyes grew wide with fear.

"I must see my father."

"He is getting prepared for the war, your highness." The guard said.

"That makes it even more important."

She didn't wait for his answer. She just ran towards the Barracks.

Raja Kiritveer had dressed up in his battle finery. He was busy commanding his generals.