Chapter 50 - Old grudges

Chitrangada had just arrived from the Queen's palace unaware of the incident. She got shocked of her life when Poonam arrived panting.

"Your highness you have to save him. Please dont let him get punished."

Chitra looked at her surprised "What happened?"

"They have arrested Prince Devburman for attacking his highness, but I know it's a misunderstanding. Please save him." Poonam pleaded.

"Attacked High Highness! Where is he? Is he fine?" Chitra's face turned white.

"He is at the infirmary, your highness. But please listen to me...

Chitra didn't listen further she ran towards the infirmary. Poonam looked at her morosely not knowing what to do.

Shivaditya was getting bandaged on his cuts when an anxious Chitra arrived.

"Your Highness! Are you ok? Oh, your nose is bleeding." She had tears in her eyes.

"I am fine Chitra dont worry." He said quietly and looked down.

The healer applied the herbal paste on his arm while Chitra observed his bruised face. He had the same expression when they had quarrelled over Mrignayani.

"Can we get privacy for a moment please?" She asked the healer.

He bowed and said, " Of course your highness" and left room.

She placed her hand on her shoulders and caressed it.

"It's my fault Chitra, She died because of me." He rested his head on her shoulders and closed his eyes. She wrapped her arm around him.

"It's not your fault Shiv. Why were you fighting?"

"Dev Bhaiya knows that I killed Mrignayani and he was furious. I reacted and this is how it ended up."

"Shhh, dont worry everything will be alright." She gently rocked him to calm him.

When Chitra arrived back in her quarters Poonam was waiting for her.

"Your Highness please listen to me" She pleaded.

"I know what you want but I can't do anything Maharaj ordered his arrest. He is already suspected of treason....."

"He is not a traitor!" Poonam said so loudly that even Chitra was surprised.

"He saved his highness's life!" Poonam continued.

"What! How?" Chitra asked.

"His men have been following and guarding his highness. They foiled several assassination attempts."

"How do you know all this? Why do you want to save him ?"

"Its because I love him," Poonam replied quietly.

Chitra stared at her as if she had seen a ghost.

"When did this happen?"

"Your highness, you can punish me for my insolence if you want but please hear me out first," Poonam said.

Chitra nodded.

**********

Shivaditya was standing in front of King Bhojraj in his office. He was sitting on his table chair surrounded by parchments. He had been summoned straight from the infirmary.

"How are you now?" Bhojraj asked.

"I am fine, the cuts were not deep," Shivaditya replied.

"I knew that Dev is a trouble maker. I was glad when he had disappeared for several years. All this mess started because of him."