45

"The news is loving you guys. Nobody else is," Maria Hill's voice on a call with Tony sounded like it was at the end of a tunnel at the other end of the universe. "There's been no official call for Banner's arrest, but it's in the air."

"Stark relief foundation?" Tony's voice was distant, too.

"Already on the scene. How's the team?"

"Everyone's- we took a hit," Tony glanced at Percy, who was staring into space on the floor and was far paler than usual. He had a long gash down his arm from The Hulk attacking him, but had put up a fight when the team tried to treat it. "We'll shake it off."

"Well, for now, I'd stay in stealth mode, and stay away from here," Maria said.

"So, run and hide?"

"Until we find Ultron, I don't have a lot else to offer."

"Neither do we," Tony ended the call, glancing again at Percy, then at Clint, who was flying the quinjet. "Hey, you wanna switch out?"

He shook his head. "No, I'm good. If you wanna get some kip, now's a good time, 'cause we're still a few hours out."

"A few hours from where?"

"A safe house."

Tony was quiet at that and decided to sit down on the floor beside Percy, who hadn't shown any form of being emotionally or even mentally present since sitting down and letting the ship take off. It had been an hour now, and Tony figured he'd been dissociating.

"Hey, kid, you okay?" Tony asked, but Percy didn't hear. "Percy?"

After a long while of silence, Percy blinked a few times, shifting his position and closing his eyes. He was exhausted and sore, he found, and didn't even notice Tony beside him. "You okay, Percy?" The billionaire asked, and Percy jumped in surprise. He looked at him and nodded mutely.

"I'm fine," his voice was soft and quiet, like he was afraid to make any noise.

"Do you want to talk about what you saw?"

Percy shook his head vigorously, his eyes tearing up a little, and he blinked furiously to keep the tears at bay. He would not cry in front of the team, especially not Tony.

"Hey, it's okay," Tony said softly, a hand on Percy's shoulder. "It's okay."

"No, it's not," he shook his head again. He didn't want to be perceived as weak, so he closed his eyes again, pressing the back of his head against the wall. "I'm going to sleep."

"Alright, let me know if you need anything," Tony reluctantly stood up to sit with Clint at the controls, occasionally sending glances to Percy.

*

Percy gasped, too weak to scream, as his body was thrown against the wall. Annabeth was just a few feet away- she was probably the only reason he hadn't lost it yet. When he laid eyes on her, it gave him a reason not to give in; it gave him a reason to keep going. For, if all was lost now, how would she make it out?

Percy already knew that, if they did get out of here, and they would, nothing would be the same between the both of them. Nothing would be the same with himself. His mind was changing drastically, he could feel it in his bones- and he didn't know if that was a good thing or a bad thing.

He grunted in pain as Tartarus stabbed him in the back, blood getting everywhere. How, in the names of the Fates, was he still alive after all of this? He'd lost count of how long he'd been in the pit, but, surely, it had to have been longer than a week- and he had several stab wounds all over him. That, on top of the fact he hadn't eaten or had water in days, should've been enough to kill him long ago.