22. Rumoni Restoration- Nadia

Galina Mosin never even gave us the opportunity to forget about her invitation to the theater. She showed up every single day, reminding us of our promise. It was only to Ferdinand and myself, however. Perhaps she did not like the looks of Mrs. Popov, who hung around far too much, hoping to get close to a woman who knew the queen, or perhaps she had some reason for only pursuing two of us. At any rate, she let them know she'd invite them to the next meeting, but this one she'd rather just the dancers attend the theater with her. It made Mrs. Popov and Katya visibly tense, but I could do nothing when Galina was so set on her own plans.

When the day arrived, Galina showed up at the door bright and early, avoiding the rest of the Popovs quite neatly. With her booming voice, she strode into the LeClaire's sitting room, nearly scooped us up like a hen, and rushed us out of the door. I found myself sitting in her motorcar in a daze, whisked down the road in the crisp morning light.

"The Committee will be so pleased to see you both! A countess and one of the most famous ballet dancers in Rumonin!" She clapped her hands, like a child about to enter a sweets shop.

Ferdinand chatted with her politely as we wound our way down street after street, passing the early risers headed toward cafes where they could order croissants and thick hot chocolates. While all the snow had melted by now, the morning's still carried a sharp bite to them. Fur coats and hats marked all the Rumonin refugees, at least the ones still wealthy enough to afford them. I watched them as we passed, wondering what plans they had in their days.

After ten minutes, the driver of our motorcar pulled up onto the concrete courtyard of a large building. Its mint green and white facade tucked between conjoined homes, and two massive towers rose on either end. Golden statues topped the towers, glinting in the sun, and marble pillars held up a portico where portly little cherubs raced across the arch, dangling ribbons and clouds behind them.

"Saint Vitus Theater!" Galina announced, sweeping her arm outward.

I fought not to let my mouth hang open in astonishment. This was the small theater that Queen Leonore was willing to lend out to Rumoni refugees? It looked almost like a palace in its scope and beauty. I couldn't imagine what the Queen's Theater looked like, if this one was so grand.

"Follow me, children!" Galina said, climbing down from the motorcar when the driver opened the door for her. Ferdinand noticeably bristled at the use of 'children', but I didn't mind. I knew she meant no harm, and, to be honest, we were still children in most people's eyes. Though it felt like we'd lived lifetimes, it hadn't even been two decades yet.

Galina led the way into the building through two oak doors gilded with stained glass. Inside, a lobby covered in red and beige carpet stretched out until it met a massive marble staircase leading to the upper levels and box seats. Large brown pillars soared up to the vaulted ceiling, and crystal chandeliers hung down at intervals to light our way. Along the walls that banked against the staircase, little alcoves sold refreshments in a quaint imitation of street stalls. It was at one of the alcoves that a great mass of men and women stood, chatting with each other and sipping champagne from delicate flutes.

This was how we found out that before seeing the ballet, we were going to meet with the noblemen and women who made up the Rumonin Restoration.

Galina introduced us to the crowd, and at first they seemed intensely interested in me. I could barely breathe due to all the bodies pressed in tight, plying me with questions and wide eyes. Yet, once they realized that my accent was rough and that I did not know any of the counts and dukes they did, their interest cooled and they turned instead to Ferdinand. Here, they found the noble they yearned for. He knew all the right things to reply to their questions, and turned on a cheerful and bright personality that would have been at home in a palace. Then, when the famous Maestro Vanzin from the National found him, all the talk turned to his ballets and the ones each noble had seen him perform.