Ch 51: Princes in the Tower

Just to warn you all, this chapter has a lot of history stuff crammed into it, so it may be a bit confusing to read. Furthermore, there's a lot of individuals with the same name (because that was a really popular thing to do back then lol), so let me know if there's need for clarification as to who is who.

***

Even at the young age of twelve, Edward understood that whatever was happening around him was dangerous. That he was in danger.

The 4th of May was supposed to be his coronation ceremony. The whole purpose of him arriving in London as quickly as possible was to crown him the new King of England.

But that didn't happen.

Four days later and Edward's uncle was officially appointed Lord Protector. The young king didn't understand it at the time, but the nerves coiling in his stomach had been a warning sign. Though he didn't know specifically what he needed to fear, he was afraid.

His mother and siblings had taken shelter at Westminster Abbey and his grandfather had been arrested, and the young Edward was left all alone. He had to sit back and watch as his uncle delayed his coronation to the 22nd of June and was unable to say anything in protest when he was sent to the Tower of London.

Edward truly felt helpless, though, when he received word that William Hastings had been summoned to a Council meeting at the Tower. The young, soon-to-be-king rationalized that his uncle had summoned the Baron for only one reason. To get rid of him. William had been a close friend of Edward's father and had served the late king as his Lord Chamberlain. It made sense that Richard felt the need to remove his power.

Edward tried not to let his feelings about the matter show, but his heart broke on the 13th of June when Hastings was charged with treason and executed without trial. He did not cry because he had known Hastings well. No, Edward had cried because the people who could protect him, who would serve him when he became King, the ones who were still loyal to the rightful ruler of England, were disappearing.

Edward's dread only worsened when his brother Richard joined him at the Tower. The nine-year-old had no clue what was going on, but Edward did. Elizabeth Woodville, his beloved mother who had raised him with such tenderness and care, had given up both her sons to the Duke in order to protect her other children. Edward wasn't even sure he had a right to be angry with her. She was just as powerless as he was.

And so, over the following month, Edward watched his world crumble.

Ralph Shaw, a theologian, preached a sermon that claimed that Edward's father had been contracted to marry a woman by the name of Eleanor Butler when he had instead married Elizabeth Woodville. And overnight Edward and his siblings were all deemed illegitimate as the marriage between their parents was labeled as invalid. Parliament declared this so on the 25th of June, along with denying George Duke of Clarence, Edward's other uncle, any succession rights. And so this left Richard Duke of Gloucester the rightful King.

As Edward lost his claim to the throne, his grandfather was found guilty of treason and executed.

There truly was no one left.

Edward did his best to entertain his brother over the passing months. The young Richard didn't understand why he couldn't be with his mother and his sisters, he didn't know why they were being secluded in the Tower, and most of all, he didn't understand why their uncle Richard had suddenly become the King of England, and Edward didn't know how to explain any of this to him.

So he tried to distract him. They played in the courtyard, ran through the halls playing catch, and role-plaid battle scenes with fake swords and shields. The servants didn't seem to mind their boisterousness or their tendency to break things around the Tower of London. Rather, they very rarely scolded them. Edward would later wonder if the servants had known what destiny awaited him and his brother.

It was August, the year 1483 when they came for them. It had been a dreary day. The sky was overcast but refused to rain. Still, Edward and Richard had chosen to stay inside to play. The princes had been laughing loudly, running after one another, when figures dressed in black emerged into view. Neither boy recognized the knights who were present, and their questions fell on deaf ears.

As did their screams.