Ch 59: The Half-Brother

March brought with it a surprise in the shape of twenty-nine-year-old Thomas Grey.

Adelaide blinked in bewilderment at his presence. He stood before Henry and the rest of his entourage inside one of the courtyards of Vannes adorning travel clothes with the accompaniment of a few servants and guards. They and their horses looked equally exhausted, and from the lightness to their packs, they were clearly low on supply.

False pleasantries were exchanged as Thomas Grey stepped forward and bowed. He was a tall man, similar in stature to Kayden, but not nearly as handsome. He had a long face, thin nose, and hair that bordered somewhere between blond and brown. He had a tilt to his lips that Adelaide didn't trust, and when he spoke it was as if he was talking out the side of his mouth.

"Henry Tudor," Grey bolstered, straightening and flashing what Adelaide assumed was supposed to be some sort of charming smile. "My name is Thomas Grey, Marquess of Dorset and seventh Baron Ferrers of Groby. It is truly a pleasure meeting my future brother-in-law."

Half-brother-in-law, Adelaide mentally corrected. Thomas Grey was the son of Sir John Grey of Groby and Elizabeth Woodville, who went on to remarry King Edward [IV] when the former passed away. Ultimately it made him Elizabeth of York's half-brother.

"Or I guess I should say, former Marquess of Dorset and Baron Ferrers of Groby," he continued, smiling sheepishly. Adelaide wrinkled her nose at his attempts of charm. There was something off-putting about him. Lecherous, if she had to put a name to it.

"Let us continue this conversation inside," Jasper whispered to Henry. The latter nodded and motioned for his small group and the nearly added Thomas Grey to follow him inside.

As per usual, they took up the meeting inside the library. A large circular desk occupied the center of the space littered with letters, parchments, books, and plans. Henry took a seat on one side with Jasper positioned to his right. Kayden and Adelaide slid into the space directly behind both of them and stood with arms held behind their backs. The other advisors and council members took their seats, everyone looking at the newcomer with doubt and hesitation.

"What brings you all the way to Brittany?" Henry asked, leaning back in his chair. He still wasn't sleeping well, but the bags had faded in intensity and he had put back on some of the weight he'd lost from the initial wave of anxiety that had swept over him following the failed revolt and his pledge.

"I was hoping to join you," Grey said unabashedly. He leaned forward and placed his arms on the desk gingerly, linking her fingers together. He had tried to hide it, but Adelaide noticed the small shaking of his hands. His skin was cracked and his fingernails were bleeding profusely as if he'd bit away at them until all the available skin was gone.

Henry merely raised his eyebrow at Grey's words and waited for him to continue.

"As I'm sure you're aware, last June my uncles, Anthony Woodville and Richard Grey were executed. When my younger half-brothers disappeared later that summer, I joined the Duke of Buckingham's rebellion. But following his defeat, I fled." He paused a moment to take a drink of water that a servant had brought. "I know that you've pledged to marry my half-sister, so I came here in order to support your cause and join your efforts."

"You mean you came to Brittany in hopes that we'll protect you from Richard," Henry corrected, intentionally not using the King's title. Again, Grey smiled submissively but didn't deny the statement. Henry sighed and stood, his charming, comforting smile slipping easily onto his face. Grey noticeable relaxed at the facial transformation. He stood as well and moved around to clasp Henry's extended hand, now grinning widely with relief. "As both your future King and future in-law, you're more than welcome to stay here, Thomas Grey. Someone will show you to your guest quarters. Do make yourself at home."

With a few more words of gratitude exchanged, Grey departed following after one of the female servants. As the door closed behind him, Henry sat back down and leaned onto his armrest, cupping his face in his hand and glaring. Adelaide was thankful that Kayden wore a similar expression of doubt.

"There's something about that man," Sir Philips said ideally with a shake of his head. Adelaide glanced at Charity's father and observed him for a moment. Sir Carter Philips was an intimating man with the same blonde hair as his daughter with a chin covered in stubble. His aura commanded respect and the hardness of his shoulders screamed authority. It wasn't typical of him to join in conferences, though. He was sickly and bedridden often. Catherine, his wife, standardly filled in for him at meetings when he was too weak to participate.

"I would agree," Jasper nodded. "Though he is Elizabeth Woodsville's son, I don't know how much we can trust him."

"His wife Cecily Bonville comes from a family very loyal to the House of York," Walter Livingston added. "Rather strange that he would leave her behind as well as their three children."

"Perhaps he is just a coward," Edmund Mitchell stated offhandedly, looking as wrinkled and grey as his wife Melissa. "Or he believes they are safe. It is possible he is relying on Richard to not harm or kill innocent women and children."

"Doubtful," muttered Henry, clearly thinking what they were all already thinking. Richard was rumored to have murdered his nephews. It was highly unlikely he had any qualms about killing anyone. "We'll let him stay for now. Though I don't know if he'll be of any use outside of helping us gain favor with Lady Woodsville."

"That might not be true," said Theodore, leaning forward to get a better look at Henry and Jasper. Since the birth of his child, Theodore was looking less and less morose with every passing day. He had a brightness to his face that made him appear younger and less sullen. His voice had maintained its methodic ring over the years and was finally starting to match his appearance. "Thomas Grey's presence could help with some of the tension that still lingers between the Lancastrians and Yorkists who reside here with us. It would be beneficial to show the two of you together and would only strengthen the oath that you made to marry Lady Elizabeth."

The room contemplated the suggestion.

"Theodore makes a good point," said Jasper. "We can bring the two families closer together by using Thomas Grey. You'll be the bridge from the Lancaster side. Him the York."

"We may even gain more supporters. Possibly soldiers, too," Hugh noted with a thoughtful nod. "Any more defectors who cross the Channel will most like come to your side if they believe that Edward the Fourth's stepson is allied with you. The late Yorkist King was popular with people in the south and many have a deep hatred for Richard. They view him as a usurper and most would be glad to see him gone."

With a sigh, Henry ran a hand over his face.

"Glad there's a positive to having him here," was the only comment Henry made before the party was dismissed.