Ch 31: Reconciliation

Henry's mind was a mess as he made his way to Adelaide's room. His heart raised painfully in his chest, and he felt his breathing stiffen and wheeze as if he had been outside training with the new recruits. Several times Henry turned and backtracked his steps, essentially taking an hour to reach a room that was only a few doors away.

When Henry had talked with Kayden, the feelings that had plagued him for the past few days flooded out of him like a broken jar. They had been difficult to speak, yes, but relief had washed over him as soon as those concerns had been voiced aloud. He was thankful that person had been Kayden, someone he trusted and had known for several years, but Henry couldn't escape the nagging feeling that something was wrong about the exchange. It didn't take a genius to figure out why he was feeling that way, either. Sure, Henry was close to Kayden, considering him a friend, but Kayden wasn't Arthur. Or Adelaide, Henry had to remind himself.

Henry groaned loudly as Adelaide's door came into sight for what was probably the tenth time that day. He couldn't avoid her forever, he rationalized. She, after all, lived under the same roof as him. Straightening his spine and inhaling deeply, Henry forced his feet forward and, eventually, his hand. His fingers curled into a fist, and he rapped several times on the door in a soft manner, quietly hoping she wasn't in her room or that she hadn't heard him.

Already shifting his feet to run, Henry chocked a little when the door swung open to reveal Adelaide, looking small in an oversized shirt and loose pants. Her hair was a mess, slowly falling into her eyes, and her face was slightly red and blotchy. Her eyes had heavy bags underneath them, and she stifled a yawn in an almost child-like manner. Seeing Henry, though, Adelaide's entire body seemed to jerk violently awake. Her eyes went wide and alarmed, and her body rigid with tension. The sight made Henry's heart constrict painfully. He hated the apparent look of discomfort on her face, and hated, even more, knowing that he was the one causing it.

"Henry," Adelaide said breathlessly. Blinking several times and rubbing her eye sockets, Adelaide shifted nervously where she stood. Henry didn't immediately say anything, feeling his body still wanting to flee from her and the inevitable conversation. "Do you want to come in?" She asked warily. Henry was silent for a few moments before nodding and stepping beside Adelaide and into her room. Apprehensively, Adelaide closed the door behind him, taking several steps away from him as soon as she heard the lock click into place.

They stared awkwardly at one another for what seemed like an eternity. Henry cleared his voice a few times but didn't speak, while Adelaide moved around her room in an unfamiliar manner, as if she hadn't been the occupant of the room for the last five years.

I'm sorry was simultaneously said by both of them, finally interrupting the silence. Henry and Adelaide looked at each other in surprise before both bursting into laughter. The laughing didn't last long, but it did wonders to ease the tension between the both of them. In an unasked suggestion, Adelaide motioned towards the cushions in her room with her eyes. Henry, however, had already begun to move to a seating spot as if having read Adelaide's mind. The action, for some reason, softened her heart.

"May I go first?" Henry asked after taking his seat. Adelaide wanted to protest, but the sincerity and persistence in Henry's eyes had her faltering. Slowly, she nodded and placed her hands in her lap comfortably. Henry took several deep breaths, racking his mind for the right words to say. With Kayden, everything had just involuntarily spilled out of him. However, now, Henry wasn't sure what to say or how he wanted to say it. He was feeling so many conflicting emotions that he partially wanted to throw up and die. Anything to escape the confrontation.

"Are you sure you wouldn't like me to go first?" Adelaide inquired gently. Henry shook his head furiously but avoided eye-contact and continued to remain silent. Adelaide patiently waited for him, though, not speaking or interrupting his thought process, and enduring the muteness calmly, but with a certain degree of restlessness.