Chapter 88

The family followed Samantha and Adam out to the truck.

While Ivy and Keith chatted a bit more with Adam, Patrick grabbed Samantha's hand and pulled her to the side away from the group. She smiled sweetly up at him and gave his hand a squeeze.

"How are you really holding up, sweetheart?" he asked her quietly while rubbing his thumb over her hand.

Glancing to where Adam was standing with his parents she turned back to Patrick keeping her voice low. "I'm worried about Adam to be honest, Patrick"

Patrick startled at this revelation "You are, honey? Why?"

"He's so angry about what happened. I don't like to see him upset".

Smiling at her, Patrick ran his free hand down her hair.

"You know that he's crazy about you, right?"

A slight blush found her cheeks, endearing her even more to Patrick.

"I know that. I'm crazy about him too".

"So then you already know by now that Adam would do anything that he could to protect what's his. You are his, you know?"

A happy smile crossed her face before she became serious again.

"I just want to help him get over his anger and deal with it" when Patrick started to interrupt she squeezed his hand again. "I know that what happened was out of Adam's control but I am really okay. They're just bruises" when Patrick's expression darkened she hurried on "I don't want this to eat at him anymore."

"Adam is the most level headed guy I know. You've got to let him have his mad for a while, honey. It hurt his pride that he wasn't able to protect you from any of this and he is angry that you were hurt and these bruises..." he paused to run a finger gently over her cheek "are going to be a reminder for a bit".

Pulling her into a hug "He'll get over it, I promise" leaning back to grin cheekily at her he said "No guy is going to turn down some loving from his girl though. That's a sure-fire way to help him get over it quickly" he laughed at her when she groaned and buried her embarrassed face into his chest. He squeezed her tightly again before grabbing her hand and walking her back to the group.

Adam of course, never not being aware of Samantha, was giving Patrick the stink eye while his parents looked on in amusement. As soon as they were within arm's length Adam reached out to pull Samantha to his side causing his whole family to laugh.

"Seriously!" Samantha exclaimed "what exactly do I keep missing, I swear you are all laughing at me" joining in the laughter, Adam leaned down to kiss her lips gently "Not you, babe. Just Patrick being an ass".

After saying their goodbyes and being thoroughly hugged and then hugged again by Adam's mom, dad and brothers they loaded back into the truck for the drive home. The backseat holding a container of leftovers for Adam's lunch the next day and a tray of dessert for them both to share.

Samantha tried to hide her yawn behind her hand but Adam noticed and rubbed her knee. "Close your eyes, honey. You've got to be beat." Smiling sweetly at him she twined her fingers with his.

"That way you'll be wide awake when we get home" he wiggled his eyebrows at her making her laugh. She snuggled up against him resting her head on his shoulder and letting her eyes close. "Your family is wonderful, Adam. Thank you for sharing them with me"