Chapter 98

TWO MONTHS LATER

Adam stepped out onto the sidewalk to place the call and felt his nerves jangle when it was answered.

"Shadow Valley PD"

"Adam McCabe for Chief Kincaid, please".

"One moment"

A silent pause, no canned music to distract him and put him at ease.

"Hey, Adam. How are you, son? Everything okay?" The gravelly voice of Samantha's father came over the line.

"Just fine, sir" Adam looked down to study his shoes while he paced back and forth in front of the station house. "I wanted to speak with you about something and hope this is a good time. I should have called you at home later but I'll be in a meeting for the rest of the day and most of the evening".

"Not a problem. What can I do for you?"

"Well, I also should be doing this in person but I'm not sure when Samantha and I will get a chance to be back to Shadow Valley for another few weeks".

He let out a breath "I guess I'm stalling a bit so I'll just come out with it. I'd like to ask your permission for Samantha's hand in marriage".

Almost immediately Pete answered "Yes! Sharon will be so excited" Adam could hear the smile in the other man's voice and was surprised by the quick response. His own relief was a powerful thing.

Laughing, Adam spoke again "You have no idea how relieved I am right now".

Pete gave a booming laugh. "My girl is special and she deserves you and you deserve her. I'm glad that you two found each other. I'm assuming that Samantha doesn't know yet?"

"No. I wanted to wait until after her graduation but the ring is burning a hole in my pocket" Another laugh.

"I can't wait to be married to her. Assuming she says yes, of course".

"She will"

A voice called to Pete "Be right there" was his muffled reply. "I've got to get back, Adam. I appreciate you calling me. This just made my day. Talk soon".