|Twenty Seven: Hold Your Breath|

The clothes they gave him were of the finest silk, his pants loose and his shirt the same, with gold buttons adorning the front. His shoes were sandals, resembling a wicker basket that he really wasn't too fond of. Wiggling his exposed toes, he cringed at his appearance in the mirror. His auburn hair had been washed and styled, the usual waves had been made to be more prominent. He had shied away from the kind angel who offered to wash his wings for him, deciding that was a step too far. They had been put away, but he still looked far from human. Hovering above his head was a halo, the ring shining just as brightly as the aura around him, pure white light radiating from his ethereal body.

Beside him stood the angel sent to assist him, though he'd politely declined any help at all, instead washing himself and putting on the clothes laid out for him. She had told him her name was Seraphina, but hadn't said much else. She wore her hair in a braid above her head, almost like a second halo, the blonde strands weaving in perfect formation. As she adjusted the sleeves of his shirt, he took a nervous, shaky breath.

Though Gavreel had seemed pleasant during their first greeting, he couldn't help but be suspicious. There was clearly a reason he had been summoned to meet with him, otherwise he wouldn't be in the Heavens. However, he supposed if he was in trouble, nobody would be making the effort to make him look presentable. Instead they would just throw him straight into a cell.

He didn't fancy spending any more time in a cell, not after what happened last time- another reason he refused to let Seraphina help bathe him, in fear of her seeing the mark on his back. He had promised Cassius he wouldn't let anyone else see it. And for good reason.

Once his assistant decided he finally looked to standard, she ushered him out of the room he'd been told was his for the time being. When he had first entered, he had to hide his look of bewilderment. It was nothing like his room at home, which had been small and cramped, messy with clothes draped over the back of his desk chair. This one was bigger than his entire apartment.

A set of lounge chairs centered the room, surrounded by a wicker coffee table with a full fruit bowl. Bananas, apples, pairs, grapes, the whole lot- not that Sam could stomach any of it. His insides were churning in anticipation, despite feeling empty, not having eaten in what could have been days. Perhaps after this strange meeting he'd allow himself to indulge in whatever they were offering.

Against the back wall was a four poster bed, long drapes hanging from the frame. The sheets were silk and soft when he ran his hands over the fabric, more pillows than he could ever need resting against the wooden headboard. Paintings of the mountain decorated the walls, bordered by golden frames matching the Heavenly Palace's colour palette. However he didn't need them, not when two arched double doors led him to a balcony outside, overlooking the mountainous view, the tall peaks visible in the distance.

Again, Seraphina's hand held his as they walked, his sandals silent on the polished, marble floors. So shiny he could vaguely see his reflection in them, reminding him of his atrocious appearance. He could practically hear Cassius' snicker if he saw him like this.

He was taken back to the foyer, where Angel Gavreel was stood with another man.

He turned to look at him, deep brown eyes that were almost onyx pouring into his soul. His hair was jet black, his skin was tanned and brown, stubble covering his angled jaw, with prominent cheekbones to match. Feet parted in a battle stance, he surveyed Sam- displaying no visible emotion. He towered over majority of angels here in height, with a broad chest and shoulders.

The smile that graced Gavreel's lips didn't manage to reach the other angel's mouth. Everything about him was dark: the look in his eyes, the black clothing that nobody but him seemed to wear. However Sam understood why. He would look foolish in all white attire.