Chapter Six

Charlotte pushed her way through the crowd. Aiden had agreed to meet with her at Victoria Coffeehouse. He sounded mysterious yet in an upbeat mood. Her phone rang. She dug it out of her handbag. It was a video call from Meghna.

Slowing down to a stop, she took the call. Meghan's face filled her screen. At first, she thought it was a lousy reception but then realized the rain was pelting down on her friend. "Meg, why are you standing outside while it's pouring like no tomorrow?"

"Oh my God. The monsoon has come early," Meghna cried.

Charlotte squinted and saw a throng of the crowd standing behind her. "Where exactly are you?"

"Rahul and my other cousin have gone to search for a cab or an umbrella." Meghna  wiped raindrops from her forehead.

Charlotte stifled her laughter at her friend's obvious dilemma.

"I have sought shelter under a shop's awning. It's not supposed to rain at this time of the year," Meghna wailed. "I have no idea where I am and I don't speak Hindi properly. Did you know people in Mumbai speak more languages than humanly possible?"

"I thought you speak the language. At least you do with your parent."

"Well, turns out, mom and dad speak a very simplistic version with us." Meghna glanced at something to her right and cried, "Hey. Watch it. No pushing."

Suddenly, the camera jostled and Meghna became out of focus. "Meg? Where did you go?"

When her friend came back on, she was not alone; a young boy of twelve was with her. "This rascal has been pushing everyone." 

The boy brightened when he spotted Charlotte. "Oh, hi." He looked at Meghna. "Is she American or British?"

"She is an American like me," Meghna told him. "Now be a nice boy and stop pushing people. There is room for everyone here. What's your name?"

"Mandeep." He thrust his chin proudly. "You guys speak English in a funny way. Not like my school teachers."

Charlotte smiled at the kid's audacity. "Well, we will keep in mind not to sound funny. Meghna, why don't you just go where you are staying. Is it far?"

"Yes. It's raining real bad. Look!" She swivelled the camera around to show Charlotte the torrential downpour. The street looked all but flooded. 

"Whoa," she said at the sight of a storm and people scurrying about to seek refuge. "I guess an umbrella is a must for your next trip."

Before Meghna could reply, the boy yanked at her arm. "I want to see America. Tell your friend to show me her country." At her glare, he said, "I have never been there. Please."

It wasn't in Charlotte's heart to deny his request. Anything to relieve their watery misery. "Hang on." She whipped her phone around and showed them the Upper East Side of Manhattan before zooming back to her face. "Happy?"

Mandeep looked fascinated. "It's so different. The buildings are tall."

Before Meghna could say anything, Rahul's voice floated into the phone. "Hey, Meghna, come on. We got a ride. Who is the boy there?"

Meghna glanced at Mandeep. "We can drop you home."

The boy flushed. "I live nearby, like two minutes away from here."

"Then what the bloody hell are you doing here?"

"Enjoying the rain. It doesn't rain this much here. Plus, I was bored as maa is making pakoras like she does when it rains." He grinned cheekily and waved at Charlotte. "Nice meeting you, American lady. I like your home. Now I have to go. Bye." And then he vanished into the crowd.