Chapter Twelve

Charlotte's eyes grew round at the celebratory frenzy behind Meghna when she took her video call. "Meg, what's going on?"

Her friend panned her phone's camera overhead to show her the floral streamers dangling from the canopy of marigolds and pink flowers. "Look at this. Isn't it awesome? I met a long distant cousin for the first time in Manali. She invited me to her wedding ceremonies. This is sangeet. It's like a bridal shower and clubbing thrown together."

"The bride invited you out of the blue." Her eyebrows scrunched together in confusion. Charlotte couldn't think of anyone inviting her at the spur of the moment.

"Call it Indian hospitality. People are very open-hearted here. They invite just about anyone to their wedding," Meghna cried over the music and gaiety in the background. "The bride's sister gave me this outfit. It's so gorgeous. I feel like a princess."

She lowered the phone. A long flowy pink dress with red, blue and yellow embroidered flowers all over it came into view. The extravagant outfit was breathtaking.

"Wow." She let out an appreciative whistle. "You look beautiful."

"Thanks, babe." Meghan adjusted the camera back to her face. "I'm not fully ready yet, but I think I will wear real flowers in my hair. What do you think?"

"Whatever you decide, I'm sure you can pull it off," Charlotte assured her.

Suddenly, Meghna pulled a face. "Oh, did I tell you about my mother's matchmaking attempts? She is throwing every guy here at my feet. There's one guy from Boston. Mom thinks it's a match made in heaven as we are both Americans."

"Well, did you give him a shot?"

"Yes, he wants someone  cultured and sophisticated. He is better off marrying a dragon with the list he got. But you know me, I'm here to shop and eat mango ice cream," Meghna announced with grit determination.

"You can do it." Charlotte pumped her fist in encouragement.

"So, how's your policeman?" She asked but looked to someone off-camera. "Just give me one second, Lola..." She frowned at whoever had interrupted them. There was a brief exchange in Hindi before Meghna shook her head. "Nah, I'm good. I don't like henna, Shruti."

"What's going on?"

"It's henna time, and I'm not a big fan of it. I think my cousin, Shruti, is scandalized." Meghna proudly flipped her hair over her shoulder at her trailblazing attitude. "Anyways, from what you texted me about your trip to Canada, it seems this is more than a summer fling."

"Yes, it is." Charlotte beamed. She literally floated in the air from happiness. Aiden occupied her every thought when he wasn't with her. And when they were together, his husky voice and smiles always made her heart somersault. "On his request, I did an engagement shoot for his friend and fiancée. As a thank you, they have invited me to their party to commemorate this special time in their life."

Meghna's mouth dropped open. "O.M.G. He's introducing you to his friends. You guys are in a proper relationship. But Lola, what about James? I mean, forbidden relationships are the shit in this country, but you are in one on the opposite side of the world."

Charlotte bit her lips. Before her courage failed, she confessed, "I love him, Meg. I can't imagine my life without him. Sneaking behind James is unconventional, but I'm waiting for the right time. He's recently engaged and I don't want to ruin it for him."

"Well, don't wait too long to tell him," she advised, but her dubious expression said it all—Charlotte and Aiden were fighting a losing battle.

Meghna ended the call when she was hauled away to dance with the jubilant family members. Marvelling how different an Asian wedding was from the one in America, where all the guests were curated and handpicked by the bride and groom, she got ready for dinner tonight at Amelia's brother's place. Having last-minute guests was unheard of, even at beach weddings which were less rigid and had a more bohemian spirit.