08

-CHAPTER EIGHT-
OPHELIA

“Oi. What’s the answer to third one,” I heard Mike whisper beside me and I rolled my eyes. We were writing a test in history and guess who hadn’t studied for it? 

“I don’t know,” I whispered back. Mike tsked, “Liar. I can see the space for the third one is filled. Tell me what it is!” By now, his voice had surpassed the whisper level and I groaned inaudibly when I saw a couple of other students looking back at us. 

“Whisper, Michael, whisper! And I don’t know the answer,” I whisper-yelled at him and unsurprisingly, he didn’t budge. “No, lemme see it.” He leaned more to my side and tried to see what the answer was.

“Damn I cannot understand your hand writing,” he narrowed his eyes to read and I made a face, “You don’t understand good hand writing?” 

“Mr. and Ms. Morgenstern, what do you think you’re doing!” 

Mrs. Pascal’s voice echoed to the back of the classroom where Mike and I were sitting. As if her voice had hit him physically, Mike lost his balance on the chair and slammed right into me, almost knocking me down. “What the fuck, Michael!”

I swear I saw the vein on her forehead pop out as Mrs. Pascal screamed like a banshee, “Ms. Morgenstern, to the principal’s office! Mr. Morgenstern, detention!” 

I narrowed my eyes at her, how dare she scream at my brother like that!

“Watch your tone, Mrs. Pascal. You don’t need to scream in order to tell us something,” I calmly said as I helped Mike stand up. “You watch your language Ms. Morgenstern. Vile words in my classroom will not be tolerated,” she retorted.

“We all know the amount of vile words you yourself use under your breath, Mrs. Pascal. Don’t be a hypocrite, and please don’t scream at my brother like that,” I fiercely said as the entire class hooted.

Mike must’ve realized that I was about to burst so he quickly pulled me out of the classroom, our test sheets lying in there on the ground. “I’m sorry,” he apologized as his cheeks turned pink from embarrassment. I tucked my arm around his, “It’s fine. I just hated how she screamed at you like that.” 

Mike frowned, “But she screamed at you too.” I clicked my tongue, “Yeah, because I cursed. You didn’t do anything. And if you’re going to say you were trying to cheat, don’t bother. Half of the class was googling answers under the table. That woman seriously needs to learn about the 21st century technology.” 

Mike then shut his mouth as we made our way to the principal’s office with me trying to cool down. I wasn’t dreading meeting Ms. Montgomery, our principal. I was dreading the conversation I was going to have with Blake about all of this.

Sure, I was allowed to cuss, but I wasn’t allowed to cuss in a classroom, that would be disrespectful and if Mrs. Pascal hadn’t been rude to my brother, I would’ve actually felt bad about cussing. But she was rude and I wasn’t feeling bad about cussing and now I was on my way to the principal’s cabin. 

Until another demon crossed our path.

"Hey! Aren’t you Lia?” Mike snickered and I glared at him as we turned around to face Tanya Shannon, the ‘supposed’ it girl of the school. No one thought of her that way except for her and her minions. Not even the football team had deemed the demon worthy of their attention.