Chapter 16

Adelyn

I smile slightly.

"Yeah, I'm all good." I respond moving my napkin to my lap. "Hey, I'm thinking of getting my own apartment."

"Really?" Nathan questions surprised.

I nod. "Why is that so surprising? Should I be offended?" I ask cutting my pasta.

Nathan chuckles slightly. "No, it's just that ever since you've been old enough to speak you've hated being alone, Catty."

"I just feel like-" I take a deep breath. "I need to grow up."

Nathan frowns. "What do you mean? You're literally the most mature twenty year old ever."

"I just need to realise that life isn't a fairytale. Bad things happen to good people. There's no such thing as soulmates. And no matter how long I wait I may never get my happy ending."

"Woah." Nathan mutters. "This just got deep."

I fake a small smile. "I didn't even bring a date to your wedding, Nate. I'm pathetic."

"Adelyn." Nathan breathes out.

"Hey, hope I'm not interrupting."

I turn around in my chair. "Oh my gosh." I breathe out when I spot Isabelle. "Hi!" I say standing up.

She pulls me into a tight hug. I can't help but smile small. "We should talk." I say.

Isabelle shakes her head. "I've forgiven you, Addy. Let's just move on for now and if there's still a problem when we get home we'll talk about it then. Let's just enjoy the wedding." She smiles.

"Ok." I agree.

This just felt so wrong. How am I just suppose to move on? She doesn't even want to talk about any of it? I was ready to tell her everything. I thought she'd want to know, I thought she'd want to help.

Maybe I was just expecting too much.

"Adelyn." Ethan frowns slightly.

I look up and see Isabelle has been replaced with Ethan.

Of course, they're still together.

I clear my throat and turn around to take my seat. I notice Ethan eye me off as he walks down beside the table and takes the seat beside Isabelle.

"Hey Addy, I didn't realise we gave Isabelle a plus one. I'm sorry we sent the invites out ages ago, I can tell her there isn't enough seats?" Lillian appears by my side concerned.

I shake my head slightly. "It's ok, Lily. Please don't worry about me. This is your week. All you need to worry about is looking pretty." I smile.

She chuckles slightly before kissing my head and taking her seat beside Nathan. He smiles big when she appears and kisses her lips passionately. I can't help but smile at the interaction and continue to dream one day i'll be just as happy as these two.

//

I pull my keycard from my purse and swipe it. The door clicks unlocked and I push the handle down.

"Hey Adelyn." Ethan calls from behind me.

I turn around and watch as he walks towards me. "You told her everything, didn't you?" I ask hurtfully.

Ethan looks taken back by my question. "What? Of course not."

I swallow the lump in my throat. "I- I have to go to bed."

"Adelyn." Ethan calls. "I didn't tell her, I promise."

I nod and start walking into my room.

"But would it really be that horrible if she knew?" Ethan asks.