31-

RECAP:

Another bump caused me to fall in front of Ethan's row and hit my head on the cold floor.

That's gotta be enough to wake me up, I thought.

But I continued to blink, to breathe, to get myself off the shaking ground and wipe the moisture from my face.

Only, when I examined my hand, it was completely crimson red.

More Blood.

ASHTON'S POV:

A pen.

Clenched between my shaking hands, I knew what I had to do.

It was something that I should have done a long time ago.

I had to tell the truth -If not to Becca, then to myself.

I was ready to take the story into my own hands. If the original author didn't want to write us a happy ending, I owed it to Becca to change that.

After all, I didn't want to forget -I refused to forget. Even if the entire summer was a dream, I couldn't let a single detail slip my mind.

Everything felt so real. I thought as I leant over to grab my favourite notebook, of course it's the one that Becca bought for me many years ago as some Christmas present back in London.

We were so innocent. I continued but soon grimaced at the memory of having to explain my 'suicide' to Becca in the same pages that i pressed this ink on.

She read the letter. I reassure myself.

She understands that I didn't actually die. Right?

The next time I glance back at the book, my hand has already moved to write a string of words on the cover:

'My Sister's Best Friend.'

Before I know it, I'm flicking open the notebook and exhaling a large breath.

Page 1: The End.

In this story, the end comes first.

I guess, It's because I've already accepted that it is the end.

It ended with the weight of the water compressing my ribs, burning my lungs and numbing my soul.

It ended when I realised there was no future for Becca and I, especially not in some alternate universe.

How we were there, yet alone together, remains unknown to me at this moment. And I doubt that It will ever be known to me.

Here, I lay upon the thin sheets of my double bed not knowing what I regret more...Leaving in the first place or not leaving soon enough.

But there was a reason for it all. A reason why I am still breathing -living- back on the very day we are supposedly collecting Becca and Ethan from the airport.

Again, I don't know how. I don't know anything about this matter. But one question still played on repeat in my buzzing mind.

Who sent me the messages? -The messages that revealed the truth about my perfect summer being a lie.

Maybe it wasn't a 'who', or a 'what'. Maybe there isn't even a 'why'. Maybe there isn't any reason behind any of this wildness.

Behind this wild lucid dream.

...Yes, you heard it.

As far as I know, our story was all a dream.

I didn't believe it at first. I mean, who would? Nothing made me believe that I wasn't falling in love with my sister's best friend. It didn't even cross my mind that my eyes were closed the entire time as I drifted off into a summer with Becca that I had dreamed of for years.