ch.iii:house of balloons

CHAPTER THREE🐛

SIMON:
We woke up in Cowboy's beautiful house then drove to the cabin for the real surprise. Last night was just to throw Vonnie off the scent because he hates surprises and he doesn't like being the center of attention. But, how could we not celebrate him after the year he's had?! So, Laya threw together a weekend for him and invited all his closest friends.

Turning the corner of the cabin, my breath is taken away by the view. I stagger behind naturally, always smelling the roses wherever I go. Mommy hates how slow I move. She says, 'girl you got molasses in them bones?'.

By the time Laya, Vonnie and I got in everyone was already awake. Im super glad we decided to do it today instead of yesterday because I think that two surprises in one day could've killed Vonnie.

The screen door slammed and Vontell's arm was wrapped around my shoulder seemingly in the same instant. "Why you laggin behind, Si?" He asked, a little bit concerned.

"You know it's awkward being the new girl in a group. And I'm pretty sure I'm older than everyone here." I rolled my eyes as we neared the other girls who had gathered by the lake. He smacked his lips looking down at me.

"Nah, they all cool. You'll fit right in."

"Ariii" he sang, taking her hand before pulling her in for a hug.

"What's good unc." She laughed.

"Ladies, this my friend Simon. Si, this my niece Ari and yeah we the same age, ma dukes and big bro was getting it in on the same day I guess. Then this is-

"I'm Chlo." She smiled, saying it before Von could. We hugged.

"And you know my baby girl, my bestie, the ugliest most annoying roach in the sea, Rastamon Booyakah. Booyakah

"Aight, nigga." Laya waved her hand stopping him mid sentence. I love their relationship. I met them back in undergrad my junior year. We have been friends ever since- even after Vonnie dropped out and I graduated.

"Corny ass." Laya laughed at Von's phrasing.

"It's nice to meet all of you."

"I love my ladies, y'all know that." He said, smirking— half cheeky, half impatient, "but will someone please tell me who else is here? If not, I don't mind banging on doors."

"The ush." Chlo rolled her eyes and smirked, holding a wine glass up to her mouth. It's early for that, in my opinion. I wonder if this is normal for her. She caught me watching and made eye contact. Before I looked away, her smile sort of faded and it kind of made me sad.

"So, how come you have a boy name?" Ari asked, "I mean, I hope that didn't sound rude."

"No, of course not. People ask all the time." I shrugged. "I'm named after my father who died hours before I was born. My grandmother believed I was a reincarnation of him, because of the timing."

"White folk got a heartfelt story for everything." Someone laughed behind me, making me turn to see who it was. He was tall, very tall. A giant of you ask me. Brown skinned with dreadlocks and thick eyebrows that met at the middle. I turned back to the group, raising my brows a bit at Laya. She slightly shook her head no and looked at Von. I squinted my eyes are her, but our conversation was cut short when the tall man spoke up again.

"Who you is?" He asked.

I looked around the group and they all looked back at me. "Oh me?" Turning back around, I looked him up and down, "Simon Chicago, PhD. I know you."