Chapter 59

The Gall of Gammon

Disclaimer: This story is my humble attempt to write a fanfiction of the epic Mahabharata. My intention is not to hurt anyone's sentiment.

Aum Namah Shivay!!

Major Jayant Roy, SM is a fictitious character. Any similarity with any living person is merely a coincidence.

Chapter 59

Girivraja, Magadha, Dwapar Yuga

Jayant/ Duryodhana POV (continues)

"On your guard, Maharathi Eklavya!"

I quickly picked up my bow. Eklavya was ready in front of me. His arrow was pointing straight to my chest. But, before I could join my arrow with my bow, Eklavya released his arrow. The arrow was so fast, that I couldn't see it with my eyes. The arrow cut my bowstring in two pieces. I quickly tried to tie another string, but, before I could even join it to my bow, another well aimed arrow from Eklavya cut it again.

"Damn!" I hissed inside my mind. Eklavya was way superior in archery, probably in the same level of Arjun and Karna. I had to do something quickly; else, my each and every plan would fail.

After seeing the valour of Eklavya, the army of Jarasandha started fighting with newfound strength. Though they were still surrounded by our army, but I could see that they were now started pressing us. Each and every Maharathi in my army was now holding their positions. If anyone left their position for my aid, then we may lose the advantage. Karna was fiercely duelling with Jarasandha. Both of them were engaged in a swordfight. Ashwatthama was fighting with Shishupal. Arrows were flowing from both sides.

Again I heard the sound of the bowstring of Eklavya. I looked at him and saw him releasing another heavy wooden arrow towards me. Before I could do anything, the arrow connected to my chest, and broke into pieces.

I looked at my opponent. He was looking at me with astonished expression. His eyes were literally popping out from the holes. He looked at his bow then looked at me. His shock became the only chance for me. Quickly, I took a mace from my chariot and hurled it towards his chariot. The mace broke his chariot wheel. Eklavya lost his balance, and fall on the ground.

"Jayant, this is the only chance you have!" I thought to myself. I jumped from my chariot, and ran towards my fallen enemy. Eklavya was struggling to get up on his feet, when he saw me in front of him. He took out a knife and tried to stab me, but this time, I grabbed his left hand holding the knife.

"Sorry, Mitra." I landed a heavy blow on his neck with my right hand. This was a basic move of martial arts. One swift move, one blow on the neck and it would knock out the victim. Eklavya fall down on the ground like a broken log.

I took the torso of the unconscious Eklavya on my shoulder and placed him on my chariot. If my calculations were correct then he would wake up at least after two hours. I heaved a sigh again. I understood by now that I am not a good fighter on chariot. I took my mace in my hand, and charged at the enemy soldiers. Ashwatthama was still duelling with Shishupal, when I saw a glowing arrow from Shishupal shattered his chariot. Ashwatthama fall down on the ground.

"Ashwatthama!" I heard Dronachrya's voice. That voice had so much pain in it, that I was literally startled. I saw the sage, who ordered his charioteer to take him towards his son.

"Acharya! I am checking on him. You get back in your position!" I shouted at him, who looked at me with burning eyes.

"My son needs me, Rajkumar! His life is in mortal danger! I have to go to him." The sage shouted like a madman.