Chapter 9

The Gall of Gammon

Disclaimer: This story is my humble attempt to write a fanfiction of the epic Mahabharata. My intention is not to hurt anyone's sentiment.

Aum Namah Shivay!!

Major Jayant Roy, SM is a fictitious character. Any similarity with any living person is merely a coincidence.

Chapter 9

Hastinapur, Dwapar Yuga

Vidura POV

The five sons of late Maharaja Pandu were now living in the palace. With them, I could feel that the dynamics of events in the palace was shifting dramatically. Yudhisthira, the elder son of Maharaja Pandu was a calm and cool minded boy. He was also righteous in nature. He knew his duties well. Rajkumar Arjun is literally an archery prodigy. Young Nakul and Sahdeva were also talented in sword and axe and the second of them, the one and only Bheem...well, I saw his strength in the forest. I was walking towards their room with some sweets that my wife, Sulabha made for them.

But when I entered their room, I saw a horrific sight.

Bhabishri Kunti was lying on the floor, unconscious. Her five sons were encircling her. Nakul was sparkling water on her face.

"What happened putra?" I could not recognise my own voice now. My voice was changed with a mixture of fear.

The five of them heard my voice and looked at me. Then I noticed something more horrific.

Blood was dripping from Bheem's lips. There was also a small cut on Yudhisthir's throat which was bleeding.

"Who did this?" My hands were shaking now. I somehow put the pot of sweets on the floor and came beside them.

"Kakashri, please do something. Mata is not moving." Nakul was crying now.

I quickly checked her pulse. It was a little weak.

"Nakul, go outside. Tell the guards to call the vaidya here." I instructed. Nakul ran outside like a horse.

In a few moments, the vaidya came inside the room. He held something with a strong odour in front of her nose. Bhabishri started moving her limbs and after that she opened her eyes.

"Putra Bheem!" She said in a faint voice. Then her gaze fell on me.

"Pranipaat Bhabishri!" I bowed my head to her, "What happened?"

"It was Duryodhana! He attacked my jyesth with a knife and then attacked me. He also told me that he will lock me up without any food and then he will throw my brothers in front of Me.", Bheem shouted.

"Duryodhana drew your blood?" I asked in an astonished voice.

Now Bheem's expression changed. It was humiliation. I was also shocked to my core. I saw the boy lifting large stones in the forest. Those stones were so heavy, that it would take at least ten grown up men to move. Then how could Duryodhana defeat him?

Yudhisthir was silent. He was massaging his mother's feet. I was silent too. But bhabishri broke it.

"Vidura, would you do me a favour?"

"Your wish is my command, bhabishri. Just ask me."

"Please, make arrangement for me and my boys to leave for the forest. Here, in this palace, I can sense constant danger upon them. They would be safe in the forest. The Kauravas will be happy too if we leave." She said in a chocked voice. Tears were falling from her eyes.

Her words literally shattered my soul. I could feel my tears were coming out too. But, before I could say something, a voice boomed in the room.

"No, putri Kunti, you and your sons will stay here." It was the voice of tatshri Bhishma. He entered the room, and stood beside me.