Chapter 23

"Don't look at me. This was my father and Nadia's doing." Leon was going through Viola's wardrobe in the dressing room next to the bedroom.

Viola did not know Ian and Nadia had prepared her new clothes when she moved into the house. She had been wearing the few clothes she managed to save from her house in Mir.

Leon pulled out a set of thermal pajamas and shoved it to Voila. "Change."

"What?" Viola looked at the peach-colored pajamas with white snow bunnies printed on them.

"You are going to catch a cold with what you are wearing now."

Viola went to change obediently.

"Why didn't you buy something for yourself? I remember giving you a card for that." Leon asked after Viola finished changing. He was reading in the bed.

"About that..." Viola did not know how to reply. The thought of spending Leon's money freely when they were basically strangers did not sit right with her.

"I won't force you but use it at least for your basic living necessities." Leon waved his hand. Although they only knew each other for a short time, Leon understood Viola's character pretty well. He lowered his eyes back to his book.

Viola hesitated for a while but braved herself to get into the bed, lying beside Leon.

"You are sleeping here tonight?" Leon asked, surprised.

Viola turned to face Leon. "You don't mind, do you?" Viola retorted. Her cheeks were red. Leon smiled playfully. He closed his book. He lied on his side with one hand supporting his head.

"Why suddenly?" Leon asked.

"It's cold tonight... and the room downstairs is even colder. I thought I'll just warm up myself... for a bit here and then..." Viola kept on rambling.

"Then come closer. I can warm you up." Leon teased her.

"What? No." Viola rejected.

Leon chuckled and messed with her hair.

"Wha... what are you doing?" Viola cried.

Leon got up from the bed and turned off the light. "Go sleep. I'm going to do some work next door."

"Working...? Now?" Viola asked in disbelief.

"I can accompany you if you don't want to sleep alone." Leon offered.

"Go away." Viola hid herself under the blanket to hide her embarrassment.

In his working room, Leon pulled out the investigation report he received the day before. The report showed with proofs, surveillance footages and license plate, that the perpetrator of Viola's hit and run case was a spiteful former employee of Uni Infinitus who was let go 6 months ago. Leon closed the report and set it aside.

Leon closed his eyes. It doesn't make sense. Why would he target Viola instead of me? Although the man himself had since admitted his crime and was sent to jail by the authorities, Leon did not think it was over. Despite Viola's protest, he decided to have the bodyguards he hired followed her a little longer.

Leon looked at the time. It was almost midnight. He went back to his bedroom and saw Viola sleeping soundly. He sat on the edge and watched her sleeping.

"Mom..." Viola muttered in her sleep.

Leon stroked her hair gently. He remembered Nadia doing the same when he woke up in the middle of the night crying looking for his mother back then. Nadia would stroke his hair and comfort him until he went back to sleep.

"Don't cry anymore." Leon said to himself, his eyes fell on the blooming Winter Luna, standing straight in a clear moonlit night.

***

"Listen, I just went to madam's room. Guess what? She didn't go back to her room last night!" Maria squealed excitedly. The other maids tuned in while preparing breakfast in the kitchen.

"Ssshhh!! Lower your voice!" Aria scolded her sister although she was excited about it too.

"What should we do about their breakfast? Do we take it to their room? But what if... we disturb them?" Maria could not help laughing naughtily. The other maids followed.

Nadia walked into the kitchen. "You all! What are you doing?"

"Go... Good morning, Mrs. Ellis!!" The maids replied synchronously.

"Maria, didn't I tell you not to spout nonsense in this house?" Nadia glared at Maria. Maria did not dare to look at Nadia. "Go and sweep the back garden now."

"Me? Alone? But it's cold in the morning..." Maria begged.

"G-O N-O-W, Maria." Nadia repeated. Maria left the kitchen sulking.

"Aria, go up and see if young master and madam would like to have their breakfast in their room." Nadia ordered. Aria nodded and went out.