Mirrored Self

Chapter 7

"Heh...heh...ha..." My laughter plagued me once again, forcing the horrible memory onto my mind once again.

Watching as Victoria melt away to death, I focused on staying alive. Alive in order to fight tomorrow, fight again, and fight until I no longer need to. The pithos in all its glory stood ignored by both myself and the other contestants.

Inching closer, I could feel its texture but from the looks of others, the pithos didn't exist. At least, not in the physical plane where others could feel and see it as I did. Was it because it was only tied to my soul? Or was I simply tired and drained of enough blood that I was seeing what was not there?

Regardless, I gripped the edge of the unmoving jar as I pulled myself up while pushing against the pain, the torn muscles, and the sticky blood. For the first time, I was able to see around myself clearly using my one good eye. The other, the cursed eye, was pitch black in both overuse and blood.

Eyes. Eyes on me. Eyes that I was too familiar with unfortunately. They were the very same eyes I looked at myself before my death. The same eyes I had made for years as a child.

Eyes looking at a monster

They were right, of course, but it didn't change the fact that I would rather not have to face those looks anymore. They were right, yes, but it still hurt a bit. Lack of compassion and sympathy did not mean I was blind to others and the world.

One step

Pain wrecked through me as the stab wounds burned and knees gave way. I caught myself with the help of my blade...but my new room where I would be able to get the proper treatment just seemed so far away.

Another step

Memories of that nameless candidate came to mind. The one who died after winning her match. I looked around to see the others and it only confirmed what I already suspected.

Eyes of fear, horror, disgust. Eyes which showed that they would avoid me, let me die, or perhaps even kill me themselves. I understood why they would want that. I wasn't any different from Victoria, I didn't just remove her after all, I had replaced her. Replaced her in a horrific fashion. Somehow...I had melted her.

One more step

As the last of my strength faded, I saw myself crumpling to the ground when a set of arms grabbed me, held me.

What?

My one good eye saw another nameless one as she put my arm around her shoulder and began carrying me.

Why?

She stayed silent and I did too. As strange as this situation was, I was not going to question her motives. I needed to survive. I was going to survive. Walking became easier as she dragged me towards my new room.

Up the stairs, through the lift, and finally out into the hallway and in front of the first room where my new servants awaited me.

As I was passed onto the doctor of the room, I was turned around where I could finally see her face. She had no noticeable features but she was taller than me...and quite thin that one might mistake her for skipping her meals?

I could tell my blood was splattered on her clothing and the tears and rips in her clothes showed that she did not have an easy time here. I would guess she was low ranked that she was provided with no good clothing if at all.