20

They arrived at the compound with low hopes and no IMC soldiers, for they were all dead

They arrived at the compound with low hopes and no IMC soldiers, for they were all dead. Gigi healed the injured, but they had more pressing concerns now that Arlo, Jaxon and Delphinium relayed the news of the gangster Adiago Corinthian to the others. Together on the jet under Jake's guidance, they gave select information to Hunt about the sudden turn their mission had taken.

But it seemed whatever Hunt knew was more pressing than they imagined. He was already at the compound when they arrived, four bodyguards flanking him as he stood in the dining area.

He threw a newspaper down for them all to see. "Look familiar?"

The page in question had a grainy black-and-white photo of a cracked children's mask on the asphalt. Just as the gunmen had sported.

"The man who evaded you apparently made an attempt to flee across the country after his mission went south," Hunt said, tapping the paper. "He only made it a fourth of the way before he was shot in the head. The killer was an unknown suspect associated with the crime organization known as the Needles."

"It's safe to say those gunmen weren't Corinthian's, then." Finn stared at the picture. "But that then begs the question of whose they were and why they wanted us for capture."
"Corinthian's staking his claim," Jaxon said.

"He's a big-shot gangster," Finn said. "Why would he go after us?"

Rainey saw the change in Jaxon's neutral expression. It was small, but she caught it nonetheless-the look of someone who had a secret in danger of being outed.

"Finding out will be easier now that we have a source of information." Jaxon meant Jake.

Rainey snuck a look at the later, taking into account the cruel set of his mouth, the arrogant, challenging way he looked down his nose at Hunt. Seeking information from Jake Evans seemed about as enjoyable as being punched in the face. It would likely lead to that too.

There was a long pause.

Then Jake said, "I will give intel to a select few spies who will use it to search for Corinthian." His agreeableness made Rainey arch a brow.

Regardless of her skepticism, she felt a smirk beginning to grow. Rainey was a thief at heart. Though she had a habit of stealing things like money and watches and sometimes hearts, she supposed stealing information could prove equally rewarding.

"Count me in," she said.

▬ι═══════ﺤ

Rainey strode into the nightclub as if she owned the place. It was dimly lit and smelled faintly of smoke, though none of the patrons she could see were holding cigarettes. Standing near the entrance, she looked through the entire place as music blasted into her eardrums. She was searching for one face in particular. In a sea of bodies coated in rapidly flashing lights, her target would blend in.