35

She wasn't sure how it had started, but she knew how it ended: in blue fire

She wasn't sure how it had started, but she knew how it ended: in blue fire. The flames scorched her vision, not helping her woozy lightheadedness in the slightest. It was so hot she was sweating through her clothes.

Rather than face the pandemonium of the moment, Rainey tilted her head back to regain herself. The ceiling was high above, so dark it could have been the sky. But it was stone. They were in a series of caves.

Finn was to her left, seemingly under some kind of trance as he stoked the fire around them. The look on his face was...strange. Surprisingly, Gigi was the only one who appeared to be completely present. Rainey blinked. Had Finn gotten them out by himself?

Whatever effort he made was not enough. The Needles were on the other side of Finn's fiery barricade, Rainey knew it. She could hear them shouting orders over the roar of heat.

Rainey blinked again. The lustrous blue was burned onto the backs of her eyelids. Finn could only hold the Needles off for so long. Gigi's boring ability would be of no help in a barrage. Unfortunately, Rainey would have to save their asses.

Stone was everywhere: the floor, the wall at their backs, the ceiling. No dirt for her to produce a plant of her choosing, then.

She closed her eyes and searched. A few hungry spiders here and there, watchful in their webs. No, they were no good. Her power rolled through cave walls, past open caverns until-

Sleeping bodies dangling from the ceiling. Lithe, leathery wings with tiny claws. Oh, yes. Through the fog, Rainey smiled.

WAKE, she thought.

A thousand black eyes snapped open. Upside down. Searching through the darkness for that silent voice of their mother.

COME, she willed them. It was a simple, basic command; having to latch onto each of their minds would take much of Rainey's willpower as it was. Luckily, it was steel. And they had no choice but to bend to her wishes.

She sensed a fluttering of wings, bodies bouncing off of bodies in their struggle to obey her. It was difficult work keeping them all in line, but soon she had her own army approaching.

"You can dim the flames," Rainey said to Finn. "I've got it handled."

The flames raged on. The cave was sweltering.

"What the hell's your problem?" she snapped. Then to Gigi: "Can he hear me?" It was a fine time for his hearing aids to stop functioning.

Finn's eyelids fluttered. "I can't-it won't die down."

"Surely you're not stupid enough to have started something you can't control."

He looked guilty.

"God." She huffed. "Get your shit together in the next ten seconds. I am not compromising the theatrics of this diversion."

An immense dry rustling was narrowing in around the chamber. "Finn," Gigi warned, her backing toward the wall the only sign she was afraid.