49

The brunt of Delphinium's energy was on the tiny wooden blocks, urging them to pile on top of each other

The brunt of Delphinium's energy was on the tiny wooden blocks, urging them to pile on top of each other. The soldiers brought them for her to practice precision and speed with. She wasn't permitted to use anything but her mind to stack the blocks in a perfect tower.

It was an exercise not unlike the ones she'd partaken in when her power was relatively new and unexplored. Not at home in Laguna. Back then, only her immediate family and a select few doctors knew of her strange abilities, and with the amount of people who would take advantage of them, it remained that way.

But once those safety measures were proven futile and Delphinium was taken anyway, there were no such limitations put on her power. In fact, they welcomed its usage-as long as it was how they desired. Her primary instructor, Tsolvskein, frequently forced her into exercises to build her ability: first it was levitating a gradually increasing number of projectiles at once, then shattering iron cylinders, then bringing fully stable buildings to the ground. Partaking in such menial exercises years later now felt leagues beyond her current ability, but the soldiers had a point. Delphinium's efficiency needed improving.

The tower was eight blocks high. Delphinium got to her feet for the next addition. With her hands folded behind her back, she lifted the ninth block, letting it fall ever so gently on the top of the stack.

For a moment the tower remained intact. But then it began to lean to one side. Delphinium could have easily held it in place, but she allowed it to fall. She stepped back as the blocks skittered all over the table and ground.

Unfolding her hands, Delphinium did her routinely check over the room. Jaxon and Finn worked on the other side of the place. From the moment he stepped into her vision that first day, she was sure Jaxon was dangerous, but Finn continued to subvert her expectations every time she watched him. Delphinium never would have expected such a calculated, strong defense pattern from someone as slow to violence as he was. Who ever heard of someone powerful choosing to be soft? But then she recalled a vague comment of his about training as a soldier before he was brought into the team.

Gigi placed her bow on the table beside Delphinium's discarded blocks. "Are you finished for the day?"

Delphinium had only worked her mind today, not her body. Flimsy and weak as it was, she wanted to make it the best version of itself. Like the old days.

"I was thinking of offering to spar with Finn." Never Jaxon. She was still worried by the amount of amusement he seemed to get out of beating people.

"I could practice with you."

Delphinium didn't bother to hide her apprehension. Gigi wanted to hit her? It was no secret she was gaining above-average skill with a bow, but actual sparring? She always looked fragile enough to break.

"You can say no," she said, quick to backpedal. "I just thought it may be helpful since you are the best in combat here."

Delphinium wasn't so sure of that. Once again, she looked to the two fighters. If Jaxon heard Gigi's claim, he would no doubt challenge Delphinium to a brawl on the spot; she didn't know much about him, but one thing was clear: he was competitive to a fault.