21

Rainey returned in the early hours of the morning, looking very pleased with herself when the IMC soldiers assembled the rest of them to share the information later that day

Jaxon loathed to admit it, but he had been unable to locate the gangster whose trail Jake set him on. He went to both the suggested addresses, staying under his veil of invisibility in the very likely case the man recognized him, but he hadn't been present in either. How ironic that the one time he sought the Needles, he couldn't find them.

Though Jaxon had brushed his failure aside with casual dismissal in front of the others, it remained with him. He shouldn't have cared. He also should have been above such a feeling especially after the several...disagreements he had with Jake. Part of Jaxon was glad he didn't have the information Jake wanted. It served him right. He deserved all the bad things that came his way.

Another part of Jaxon-the one that he never allowed to see the light of day-hated the expectation he hadn't met, the disappointment he knew he'd brought about, if only in himself. He knew the others didn't care, but he took it much too seriously. Jake certainly didn't care. He never did. Things didn't come as easily to Jaxon as they did for Jake.

Jaxon was only a criminal now. If he couldn't even do that properly, then what was he?

He crossed his arms across his chest and scowled as Rainey waved a lazy hand to draw their attention to herself. "Jaxon may have failed spectacularly, but thankfully for you all, I never do." She thrust forward a paper with her handwriting on it. "A possible address for Corinthian's residence."

She waited expectantly for Jaxon's gratitude. "What?" he said. "I'm not going to thank you for the bare minimum. Hubbard has half a working brain. There's a reason Evans assigned the stupidest one to you."

Her answering glower made Jaxon feel a bit better.

"Is that all?" a female soldier questioned, eyes darting to Kane.

Hesitation flickered over the strongman's tawny features. "There was...something." The rasp of his voice was more noticeable in an otherwise quiet room. "Orozco had a strange man in his home. It was tense. I think the man was angry with him."

"What did he look like, this strange man?" Finn leaned both palms on the counter. "Bryson?"

"His face was covered. But...I don't think so." He fidgeted his large hands.

Rainey's red lips pressed into a line. "Great. Just what we need, another mysterious creep in our lives." She looked accusingly toward Arlo, who just so happened to match her aforementioned description.

"Maybe it was a ghost," Jaxon said helpfully.

"It could have been unrelated to us," Finn reminded them. "According to him"-he jerked a thumb to Jake-"Orozco is the Needles' lieutenant, remember?"