Prologue (Backstory)

TW

mentions of @buse

I was about 9 years old the first time I met him.

My mom and dad were drunk again. This time it didn't stop with just one punch, not that it ever really did. so I did what I have been doing for the past month. I went to my room, locked the door, and crawled out the window. I couldn't take any more hits from either of them. so I hid in the woods and walked as far as I could. It had been hours, but I had no reason to start walking home, not yet.

I was looking at the ground which is probably why I didn't notice him and why he didn't notice me. We walked straight into each other and landed with a thud.

"Who the heck are you?" I asked shocked at the boy who looked to be my age.

"I-I.. Uh I'm Daryl. Who are you??" He asked with curiosity.

"Y/n... why are you out here?" I asked confused.

"Could ask you the same."

"My parents. I can't take much more of the yelling, screaming, fighting, and hitting. I come out here to hide. Just to walk away.." I said looking away.

He looked at me in shock. "So do I." he said and I looked back up at him.

we helped each other up and dusted each other off. we talked for hours. about basically nothing. every night we would walk back to that spot. with the three oak trees and the one birch. eventually even carved our initials in the trees. i even met his brother merle once or twice.

I was there when he got lost in the woods for nine days. even helped him find his way back. helped him with what his dad did after too. many nights we went on like that. until our friendship evolved into something more. we both knew it the way we acted around each other.

the first time we met and talked for hours. ended up meeting every night. for at least 10 years after that. then Daryl said he was going away with merle. offered me to come with. I didn't on account of me having just gotten away from my parents. i needed to be alone.

The last conversation daryl and I had was

"Y/N/?" I heard daryl call from our usual spot.

I jumed down the tree and landed next to him

"yea whats up Dar-bear?"

He rolled his eyes at my nickname but he started fidgeting which told me this wasn't going to be a good conversation

"Daryl.... what's wrong why are you fidgeting?" I asked and he looked at me.

"Im going away. with merle. don't think ill be back...." he said softly. i understood. his brother meant the world to him. "....You should come....with.... if you want...."

"I can't dar-bear," he scoffed at my nickname and looked away.

"daryl... its ok.. maybe we'll see each other again...." I said cupping his face so he would look at me.

He just looked at me and pulled me into a hug.

"n/n... i love you."he said in the softest voice ever still holding me.

I responded without hesitation. "I love you too daryl." I said. and like that he was gone