Chapter- 31

Evan's POV

"Do you think that she is chilling at home with Netflix and trying to forget you ?" I sighed  before looking at Ryan's face. Brae didn't come to the office since the last two days and on the first hour of the third day , Ryan came up with his hundred and one potential possibilities behind Brae's absence.

"Or…." His eyes widened like he discovered something, most probably another stupid reason.

"Maybe she is on a boyfriend hunt." I rolled my eyes at him. His stupid cartoon-like expressions weren't helping my increasing annoyance.

"Stop with this nonsense already. There isn't anything like this."

"How do you know? Maybe she is meeting one or more people , going on dates." Now this really did piss me off. I gritted my teeth and glared at him while he only grinned.

"Maybe-"

"Shut up. Will you?" I gritted . His grin only widened, proving that he surely was enjoying it. Just then a knock was heard on my door.

"Come in." I dropped my eyes back to the documents on my table.

"Ryan—" I cut myself off after I looked up and my eyes fell upon that one woman. Brae. She was dressed differently in a blush pink dress, her hair braided in a loose fishtail. The minimal makeup on her face couldn't hide her dark patches under her eyes indicating exhaustion but she looked a lot fresher and happy. As she walked closer, her sweet vanilla smell hit my nostrils.

"Good morning." She looked at Ryan and then me, her lips stretched in a beautiful smile that I hadn't seen in a long time. It made her look much more young and happy.

"Good Morning, Brae." Ryan grinned at her while I only nodded in acknowledgement.

"You were telling me something." I looked at Ryan to see him looking thoughtfully at me.

"Uhm…. Yeah, I was asking if you could-" He cut me off.

"Leave? Gladly. I was going anyway." I clicked my tongue in annoyance. I knew why he did it. He walked out before closing the door behind him.

Brae came forward and placed the tray with a cup of coffee and some cookies alongside. I looked from the tray to her face and raised a brow at her. She just shrugged before speaking.

"I made them. Thought you would like it." She offered a faint smile.

"I don't like anything in the morning other than coffee." I stated.

"But a stomach needs food. Anyway, should I tell you your schedule for today?" I shook my head at her.

"I know it." She nodded.

"Why were you absent for the last two days? You are even late today." I asked, keeping my tone somewhat professional.

"You said you wanted to be alone and I was giving you some time away from me. I thought two days were enough. So I came back." She smiled lightly. I was taken aback by her answer because I never thought that she would address any personal conversation in the office.

"And today I was late because I took time to dress up." My eyes automatically stole a swift glance of her whole body.

"You look different." I acknowledged and brought the cup of coffee to my lips.

"Do you like it?" Hearing her question, I absent-mindedly sipped a lot of the hot drink, burning my tongue. This question was definitely not expected from her. I was dumbfounded at her words. Was she even the same Brae?

"Did you do it for me?" I asked with a blank stare after recovering my shock. I was expecting her to blush or look away, shying , anything but not a shrug and the words that left her mouth.