Chapter- 44

Evan's POV

Mom was staring at me with a hard look.

"Surprised that the guards let me in? Maybe they aren't listening to your instructions at all." She brusquely let out.

"I never gave instructions to restrict your entry." She raised a brow.

"Lucky me!" Hostility was dripping from her words.

"I guess that you haven't come to talk and settle things." I was hoping for a positive answer but it seemed far from possible.

"You decided that it was in your best interest to not attend a family dinner. So I came to see what's holding you back." She turned her gaze towards Brae which was anything but soft.

"Of course I was in for a surprise." I clicked my tongue in annoyance.

"You're pregnant. Seems like I have been right all this time." With furrowed eyebrows I looked back at mom.

"All this time?"

"You don't know of our little meet-up, do you?" I looked at Brae who was clearly avoiding meeting my eyes.

"We had a coffee date. I asked her if she was pregnant but she said no. Of course she lied now as we see it." As soon as the sentence left her mouth, Brae roared out a protest.

"I wasn't lying." Mom's eyes twitched in anger.

"Why will you even meet her and ask such meaningless questions?" I found this absolutely ridiculous.

"Oh it wasn't meaningless! I guessed that she had a motive and I was right." While Mom kept on throwing accusations at her, I kept growing more and more confused. Motive, about what?

"No, you weren't right, at all. I just figured out about this baby." Brae shut her eyes and took a deep breath after her outburst.

"Look, right now I'm pregnant and extremely pissed. I don't need those judgments at this moment." Motive? Judgement? Some explanation would have been so nice!

"I knew it. You are using your pregnancy to stay in Evan's life." I stared at Mom in surprise. I didn't expect her to say this.

"Mom." She paid no heed to my warning.

"Do you not understand, Evan? This was what she wanted. She is using her pregnancy as a means to be in your life." I clenched my jaws and looked away because I knew that words coming out of my mouth next would be anything but pleasant.

"God knows if that child is at all yours!" That was all it took for me to snap.

"That's enough!" Mom looked startled as if she hadn't expected me to say anything at all.

"You don't get to speak to her like that." My voice was controlled but cold.

"I'm speaking the truth."

"I don't need your "truth"!"

"You don't raise your voice at me, Evan." I ran my hand through my hair before looking back at her.

"You won't give us a chance to explain everything while you go on piling up accusations against her. Honestly, I'm tired of this." Her eyes flickered between our faces and ultimately rested on mine.

"Evan!" Brae called in a warning tone.

"Let's come to an agreement. You have failed to make me see your point. You won't accept Brae and I won't let her go. It's for the best that we follow our own paths because I won't have anyone insult my girlfriend." I was determined to set boundaries. This had been going on for a long time and I failed to realise when my life had turned to a soap opera. Mom stared at me incredulously before letting out a humorless chuckle.