Chapter 78: Say my Name

Loren's POV

I stood from my bed and followed Killian out of the room towards his office.

"You're taking me to your office to talk?" I chuckled, "What, are you firing me?" I joked, amused at his location of choice.

"Would you prefer I bring you to the bedroom where we spent endless nights together?" He raised an eyebrow as he turned when he reached the doorway to his office.

"Um, no but the sofa downstairs would've been good enough.." I looked towards the stairs.

"George is downstairs." Killian spoke flatly and opened his door, walking inside. I took a gulp and followed him.

The fire place was lit and gave off a golden glow to the room. A quiet jazz piece played over the background speakers, mingling with the crackle of the burning wood.

"This will have to suffice." Killian offered a gentle smile as he gestured at the brown leather sofa.

"I guess it's better than sitting at your desk" I sighed as I sat down beside him.

After a few too many moments of silence, Killian spoke.

"I guess I have a few things to explain to you." He started.

"You guess?" I scoffed, annoyed at how he decided to start this conversation. Ignoring me, he continued.

"My father was the leader of the American Mafia" He let out a shallow breath before continuing. "He wasn't just showing me how his business worked, he was handing the mafia over to me."

I looked up at him expecting him to start laughing but his face remained emotionless, searching my own for a reaction. When I said nothing he had no choice but to talk further.

"The reason why I couldn't talk to you wasn't just because I was busy. I was in Sicily getting the condensed training, whatever you call it, to become the new leader. I wasn't even allowed to have my phone half of the time. And when I did, I didn't have service."

"He didn't seem like somebody who's in the mafia" I observed

"Of course he doesn;t and neither do most of the other leaders. Matteo is the only exception because he's the Sicilian leader, the stereotypical Italian. My family has been in the U.S. for so long that my last name isn't even Italian anymore. But the blood is still there and I foolishly believed that by ignoring my family for a few years, I would be able to avoid the responsibility of being the first born son."

I nodded, not quite sure what to say. Not quite sure how to digest what he was saying.

"Vivian was my fiancé in college. I was struck dumb by whatever it is I thought was love and I proposed to her after one year. And then I found out that she was with me for my money... my status. And that was when I realized that was all women were interested in when it came to me. And every single woman I met afterwards further proved my point. Until I met you of course. The one woman who humbled me, amazed me." Killian leaned back on the sofa and leaned his head back, shutting his eyes. "Vivian came back because she found out about my recent inheritance. Threatened to tell you about the mafia if I didn't at least go to dinner with her. But unbeknownst to me, she had a plan. She knew you would show up and once you got there, she kissed me."

"I went to see you in your office that day" I whispered.

"Adam told me what she said." He lifted his head up from the sofa and looked at me. "I'm sorry" his voice trailed off into a whisper and I looked at the floor beside him.

"Well, I guess this all makes sense now.." I mumbled as I continued to stare at the floor.

"What?"