forty

Jake opened the car door for Edlyn and waited for her to get in. She tightened her grip around her bag and hesitantly got into the car. He went into the driver's seat next to her and held the steering wheel, "Put on your seatbelt."

"Are you mad at me?" She asked quietly, keeping her eyes on her lap as she played with her fingers. "A little bit," he answered.

"The girl that you like, is it me?" She was expecting a different answer. Instead of lying, Jake lowered his gaze and hummed in response, confessing the truth. Her eyes widened, "I don't know what to say."

"I have liked you for a long time," he confessed again. She didn't respond to him and immediately put on her seatbelt. He sighed and turned on the engine before driving away from the parking lot.

They avoided eye contact and neither of them wanted to start a conversation. Jake wanted to slow down the car so he stepped on the brake. To his surprise, the brake wouldn't budge and the car started going faster and faster.

Edlyn finally looked at him with startled eyes, "Jake, what's wrong?"

"The brake won't budge." His voice started trembling in fear. The roads were slippery since it just rained. He quickly took off his seatbelt to move closer to her before hugging her tightly, protecting her head.

The car turned right as the tyres screeched against the road. It crashed into a big tree. The road was quiet and empty. There were no people that could help them. Jake fell unconscious as his embrace started loosening around Edlyn.

She winced in pain as her body started to ache. Her ears were ringing and she couldn't hear sounds around her except her muffled voice calling for him.

"Jake," she called as her hand tried to reach him. She still had her seatbelt on and it was too tight and tangled around her body that she didn't have the strength to get it off.

Her eyes formed tears as she saw blood trickling down from his head. His head was resting on the steering wheel that was stained with his blood. Her mind started bringing back the trauma and memories of the accident she had years ago with her mother.

She sobbed and gathered all her strength and energy to reach him. "Jake," she sobbed.

"Please, don't die. Don't leave me," she cried, "Please, be alive."