forty-two

Jay rested his head on the bed as he held Edlyn's right hand, caressing it gently. He felt her hand move and immediately stood up, "Edlyn?"

She opened her eyes slowly and called him, "Jay?"

He held her hand tightly and helped her sit up straight. Her eyes widened and she started to panic, "I can't hear you."

He looked at her confusedly, "What do you mean? What's wrong?"

She saw his lips move but she couldn't hear the words that he was saying. She hit her ears continuously, "I can't hear you!"

"I can't hear you! What's wrong with my ears! I can't hear you!" She cried and screamed in panic, her ears were ringing.

Jay tried to stop her, gripping her wrists, "Stop! You'll hurt yourself!"

"I can't hear you! What's happening? Why can't I hear you?!" She cried into his chest as he hugged her to calm her down. The door opened widely and Sunghoon barged into the room, "What happened? What's with all the noise?"

"She can't hear anything! I think she has hearing loss because of the car crash."

"Take her to the emergency room." He said before running out of the room. Jay brought Edlyn to the room and watched Sunghoon put on his doctor's coat.

He examined her ears carefully and snapped his fingers, "Can you hear me? Edlyn?"

She cried and shook her head, "I can't hear anything! I can't!" She hit her ears again and grabbed a fistful of hair out of frustration and stress.

"She has a traumatic brain injury," Sunghoon said.

"Are you serious?"

"Do I look like I'm playing around? The ringing in her ears could go on for days. Maybe weeks. She'll get her hearing back since it's only a mild brain injury. For treatment, give her painkillers and she'll get better. Also, monitor her very carefully for worsening or new symptoms."

"Edlyn?" Heeseung knocked on the door. She just stared at the view outside the window, seeing children wearing hospital gowns playing at the mini playground. She couldn't hear him coming in.

He smiled softly and sat next to her, "Hey."

She frowned and closed her eyes, letting a few tears trickle down. She was tired of seeing people trying to speak to her. She couldn't hear anything. Just muffled voices that spoke words she couldn't process.

"I can't hear you," she said sternly. He pursed his lips before taking out his phone. He opened the notes app and typed something in it.

Do you want mint chocolate ice cream?

She read and chuckled softly, wiping her tears. "I do," she answered. He smiled happily before walking towards the door. He walked back in, bringing a wheelchair with him. He typed again on his phone.

Your legs are still weak from the accident. You should sit in a wheelchair for a while until your legs heal.

She obeyed and held his wrist for support before sitting in the wheelchair. He pushed it to the playground, seeing a small stall there. The seller was entertaining the kids, giving them ice creams and flavoured drinks.

He left her before scurrying towards the stall, buying a packet of mint choco ice cream. She smiled as she watched him rip the packet apart before giving it to her. She quietly licked her ice cream as she watched the kids giggling and running around the playground.

"How's Jake?" She asked. He sighed before typing something on his phone.

He's still unconscious due to the injury in his head. Don't worry, he'll wake up. I promise.

She smiled, "Thank you."

Sunghoon exhaled heavily as he stared at his unconscious friend. He walked to the chair next to the bed and sat on it. "You have to wake up, Jake. Edlyn needs you," he spoke, "Who's going to share mint choco milk with her? Who will tease her every day like you do?"

He stared at his hand that was holding Jake's wedding ring. The person who saved Jake and Edlyn gave it to him, saying that he found it on the road. He held Jake's hand and put it on his wedding finger.

"If you can reach for the light, don't give up. Please wake up. Your wife needs you," he sighed before leaving the room.