2

AURORA 

PRESENT DAY

Middle of Africa 

You know that feeling, in the pit of your stomach? The one that you get in the back of your throat? The one that tells you to run and hide and flee and never come back? 

Yeah, always listen to that feeling. 

Always. 

The second I started feeling it I should have dropped everything and left the country. I should have checked in on Ajak. On Sprite, maybe. 

Thena had been struggling. I should have sent Gilgamesh a message or something. 

I should have, I should have, I should have. 

It was too late now. 

I didn't even know if they were alive. 

Judging by the ten-foot Deviant growling a hundred meters away, the chances weren't so high. Not if we were all separated. 

What if... 

I didn't get to finish my thought as the Deviant launched into a run, its fangs bared right at me. It didn't really seem to care about the children that were in its way, or the small houses or the small animals either. 

I jump back, my heart racing as the Deviant starts running straight at me. I turn around, starting into a run. 

"Move!" I shout at the people in my way, shooting as many energy blasts as I could back at the creature, which seemed to be gaining ground quickly on me. 

It seemed different in a way... a hundred years ago my blasts would have been enough to send it blowing back a couple of hundred meters but right now? They weren't doing anything except confusing him for a few seconds. 

I turn towards the people, watching as the Deviant turns towards one of them for a moment, fangs bared. I run a few steps towards them, getting close enough to send an energy field to block them from the creature. 

The creature smashes into the force field at full speed. It pauses for a moment, stunned and disoriented before it turns back to me, eyes blazing. For a moment I think I see Ajak's eyes, but they're gone as fast as they came.

For a second, it's like the world slows to a stop, and my heart sinks in my chest at what just happened. 

"What the fuck" I mumble to myself, finally unfreezing and running to take cover behind one of the huts. 

I had to admit, this wasn't the best place to get ambush-attacked. I didn't have a lot of places to hide since we were in the middle of the fucking Serengeti. 

My back against one of the huts, I look around, moving my hair out of my face between pants for breath. This thing could come out of every side. 

I still for a moment, trying to drown out the cries of the people around me as they run from place to place, trying to take cover. 

"Where did this thing even come from?" I ask to myself, steadying my breath and pulling out my knife from the side of my boot. 

I take a deep breath, shutting my eyes for a moment, feeling the energy on the ground, and concentrating on making my energy force bigger. 

And then I'm off. 

I roll to the side just as the Deviant crushes the small hut I was behind. I sprint off into the side, and out of the small array of tents and houses.