5

GUPTA EMPIRE 400 AD

AURORA 

I have never liked Ikaris. 

It's not like I hate him– I don't. He's nice and he's helped me in battles and with my anger issues. There's just something about him I can't quite place that gives me a weird feeling. 

He always seems to be distant, like he's always reminding himself that we're on a mission and not actually on a trip or on a break. 

Except this once. 

I don't think I've ever seen him act more human than right now. 

Sersi really did a number on him. They'd fallen in love over the years, and after so much time they were finally getting married. 

I had to admit, I really liked them together. They seemed to fit almost perfectly, like pieces of a puzzle. 

It did Sersi good, to love and laugh as she did with him, so I guess that seeing her happy with him made me dislike him less. 

Either way, I never turned back from a party, and this was going to be a big one. 

Part of me though, as much as I was happy for them, also envied them. Why did they get to have their love story? Why did they get to fall and love and I couldn't? 

I didn't like anyone on the team... I hated the only person I found attractive in this group. 

Also, he was acting more of an ass than usual, and that made me despise him even more. 

I pursed my lips, turning my head slightly to see where he was. 

He was talking to one of the girls, his coy smirk flashing across his mouth as he flirted. It made me so angry for some reason. I hated seeing him so smug. I hated seeing that he could go and flirt and not care at all. 

A part of me wished I could do that, but time had proven that I wasn't made for humans and humans weren't made for me. No matter what happened I always seemed to back away when the thought of them dying and I living entered my mind. 

I wouldn't fall in love with someone who was going to die and force me to go on with life without them. 

I clear my throat, taking a sip of my drink and adjusting my headscarf. 

I liked the Gupta Empire. It had started to grow on me, even more than Babylon. 

The people here were nice and willing, and I'd found myself making friends around the village. In my free time, I would help them plan and cook and paint, something I had never thought I would be able to do. 

Still, I kept myself reserved, not willing to call this place my home. That way my heart wouldn't break as much when this Empire fell, just like the others. 

"You look like you're about to burst into tears" Sprite's voice jolts me out of my thoughts. 

"I wasn't going to, but now that I'm seeing your ugly face I just might" I retort playfully, laughter lining my words.