24

PRESENT DAY 

"Makkari, where's Kingo?" 

"He left" She signs, offering no more explanation. 

I frown, looking around for any signs of him and Karun as I walk into the main room once again. 

"What do you mean he left?" I ask turning back to her. 

She shrugs sadly. He wasn't going to get in the middle of it. 

I sigh, shaking my head in disappointment. You could never expect much of Kingo. 

I look back at Druig, watching as he scans the room at the remaining of us. 

"Look," He starts, breaking the tense silence in the room. "If I'm gonna get myself killed going up against Ikaris, we're going to need a backup plan" 

Phastos shrugs. "All of our powers, even if they're amplified by Aurora's energy, aren't enough to kill a Celestial, so..." 

"Well, Sersi did turn a Deviant into a tree" I point out, looking at her. "It was amazing" 

Phastos' eyebrows shoot up, his head turning sharply towards Sersi. 

"I'm sorry, and you never thought to tell me that?" He questions at her at the same time as Makkari. 

I can't help but smile slightly. Even if we were in the middle of all this, even if there were chances that we didn't survive, I liked that I was beside the people I'd called my family my entire life. 

The happy thought doesn't last though, drowned away by Ikaris and Sprite and whatever plan they might be plotting.  

A word I'd learned while I was at the Amazon stuck by me, and I often liked to use it to describe the feeling I was having at the moment. 

Coraje. It didn't mean courage. Coraje was when the feeling of anger bubbled up to the bottom of your throat. When your insides twisted and you were so angry and resentful of something that your jaw tightened and you felt desperation in your chest. 

That's what I felt. I could count with my hand the number of times I'd felt this way, because anger I felt a lot, but anger and coraje were two very different things. 

The first time I felt it was when I saw Druig for the first time. 

The second was when Druig left me. 

And the third was right now. 

I couldn't really tell you what the exact translation to english was, but for me, it described everything I was feeling at the moment. 

I resented the both of them for having taken away the opportunity for all of us to finally get back together and fight like the team we once had been. 

I resented Sprite for everything she had done to keep Druig and me apart. 

"We can't!" Sersi's shout pulls me back into reality. I turn to look at her, her gaze wild as she pants for breath. "We can't" Se repeats more silently this time. 

"It's okay, Sersi" Druig finally speaks. He nods, turning to look at me in assurance. "We've got this" 

I nod in agreement, a tight smile showing on my face. 

"Yeah, It'll be fine. I'm sure my energy is enough to power all of you and Druig" I try to be convincing. Not only for them, but for myself. 

She's quiet for a moment, looking at all of us with panic before pursing her lips and standing up from the couch, her face flashing with pain as she walks out of the room.